Subject: [Sipping] Performance metrics for media

From: Daryl Malas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 11:13:46 -0600

I have heard several comments regarding the value of understanding how
long it takes from the time a 200 OK (w/ SDP) is received from the UAS
to the time bi-direction (or even uni-directional) media is actually
flowing between the two UA's.  I have specifically focused my draft on
the signaling only, excluding all media correlations.  Because SIP
signaling can occur successfully in many different manners without ever
requesting an RTP session to be established, I am having a hard time
understanding the value of doing this.  It doesn't mean a company/vendor
can't do this, but should it be incorporated into this draft.  I am
already hearing grumblings that there are too many metrics in the
current draft.

Also, adding a "media" metric, I believe, will simply open a big can of
worms.

--Daryl

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP