Subject: [Sipping] Location Presence Event Package

From: "Pailer Rudolf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 07:57:24 +0200

Hello!

I would like to notify you about the the Internet Draft "A Location
Presence Event Package for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)".
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pailer-locpres-00.txt

The draft describes the usage of the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
for subscriptions and notifications of location presence. Location
presence is information about the geographical position of a user.
Subscriptions and notifications of location presence are supported by
defining an event package within the general SIP event notification
framework.

The concept of a SIP based location enabler that is the core of the
proposed draft was published on several occasions:
*) A Terminal-Based Location Service Enabler for the IP Multimedia
Subsystem, R. Pailer, S. Bessler, F. Wegscheider, IEEE Wireless
Communications and Networking Conference April 2006 (WCNC06), Las Vegas,
USA
*) Terminal-Centric Location Services for the IP Multimedia Subsystem,
J. Fabini, M. Happenhofer, R. Pailer, IEEE 63rd Vehicular Technology
Conference, May 2006, Melbourne, Australia
*) Implementing a Native IMS Location Service Enabler over a
Prototypical IMS Core Network Testbed, P. Reichl, S. Bessler, J. Fabini,
R. Pailer, J. Zeiss,The Third IEEE International Workshop on Mobile
Commerce and Wireless Services (WMCS'06) June 26, 2006, San Francisco,
USA
*) Practical Experiences with an IMS-Aware Location Service Enabler on
Top of an Experimental Open Source IMS Core Implementation, P. Reichl,
S. Bessler, J. Fabini, R. Pailer, A. Poropatich, N. Jordan, R. Huber, H.
Weisgrab, C. Brandner, I. Gojmerac, M. Ries, F. Wegscheider, Journal of
Mobile Multimedia, Rinton Press, Fall 2006
*) Lecture Notes in Geoinformation and Cartography, Location Based
Services an TeleCartography, G. Gartner, W. Cartwright, M. P. Peterson
(Eds.), Springer, 2007

I can provide above documents in PDF format, if needed.

Feedback from the IETF Working Groups GEOPRIV and SIPPING would be
appreciated very much indeed.

greetings
Rudolf

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 07:34:56 -0400

I've read this, and I don't really understand why real presence (with the
filter package) doesn't provide the same service.

Can you give an example where presence+filter is significantly different
from this package, with the filter inclusion?   It seems to me that you get
roughly the same number of messages, with roughly the same content.

Brian

  _____  

From: Pailer Rudolf [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2007 1:57 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Geopriv] Location Presence Event Package

Hello! 

I would like to notify you about the the Internet Draft "A Location Presence
Event Package for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)".

 <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pailer-locpres-00.txt>
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pailer-locpres-00.txt 

The draft describes the usage of the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) for
subscriptions and notifications of location presence. Location presence is
information about the geographical position of a user.  Subscriptions and
notifications of location presence are supported by defining an event
package within the general SIP event notification framework.

The concept of a SIP based location enabler that is the core of the proposed
draft was published on several occasions: 
*) A Terminal-Based Location Service Enabler for the IP Multimedia
Subsystem, R. Pailer, S. Bessler, F. Wegscheider, IEEE Wireless
Communications and Networking Conference April 2006 (WCNC06), Las Vegas, USA

*) Terminal-Centric Location Services for the IP Multimedia Subsystem, J.
Fabini, M. Happenhofer, R. Pailer, IEEE 63rd Vehicular Technology
Conference, May 2006, Melbourne, Australia

*) Implementing a Native IMS Location Service Enabler over a Prototypical
IMS Core Network Testbed, P. Reichl, S. Bessler, J. Fabini, R. Pailer, J.
Zeiss,The Third IEEE International Workshop on Mobile Commerce and Wireless
Services (WMCS'06) June 26, 2006, San Francisco, USA

*) Practical Experiences with an IMS-Aware Location Service Enabler on Top
of an Experimental Open Source IMS Core Implementation, P. Reichl, S.
Bessler, J. Fabini, R. Pailer, A. Poropatich, N. Jordan, R. Huber, H.
Weisgrab, C. Brandner, I. Gojmerac, M. Ries, F. Wegscheider, Journal of
Mobile Multimedia, Rinton Press, Fall 2006

*) Lecture Notes in Geoinformation and Cartography, Location Based Services
an TeleCartography, G. Gartner, W. Cartwright, M. P. Peterson (Eds.),
Springer, 2007

greetings 
Rudolf

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 09:35:17 -0400

Like Brian I think this seems so close to existing presence that you 
need to work harder to make the case for something different, and to 
show how the two packages would be coordinated.

It appears to me that a major goal you have is to avoid sending out 
messages as a result of movement when there are no watchers that are 
interested in that movement. While I can see how that could be helpful 
in some cases, it needs to be reconciled with the resulting need to 
manage subscriptions from what could be a large number of watchers.

In any case, I think what you suggest could be achieved by introducing 
some special filters for geoloc information into standard presence. At 
least that would work when there is no separate presence aggregator.

	Paul

Brian Rosen wrote:
> I’ve read this, and I don’t really understand why real presence (with 
> the filter package) doesn’t provide the same service.
> 
> from this package, with the filter inclusion?   It seems to me that you 
> get roughly the same number of messages, with roughly the same content.
> 
>  
> 
> Brian
> 
>  
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> *From:* Pailer Rudolf [mailto:[email-masked]]
> *Sent:* Monday, April 09, 2007 1:57 AM
> *To:* [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> *Subject:* [Geopriv] Location Presence Event Package
> 
>  
> 
> Hello!
> 
> Commerce and Wireless Services (WMCS'06) June 26, 2006, San Francisco, USA
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>