Subject: [Sipping] Protocol Action: 'Registration Event Package Extension for Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Globally Routable User Agent URIs (GRUUs)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:23:06 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Registration Event Package Extension for Session Initiation Protocol 
   (SIP) Globally Routable User Agent URIs (GRUUs) '
   <draft-ietf-sipping-gruu-reg-event-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Proposal 
Investigation Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jon Peterson and Cullen Jennings.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-gruu-reg-event-09.txt

Technical Summary
 
This document defines an extension to the Session Initiation Protocol
(SIP) Event Package for Registration (RFC 3680) for representing the
Globally Routable Unique URI (GRUU) associated with a Contact. The
addition of GRUU support to the REGISTER message, introduces another
element of state to the registrar. Subscribers to the registration event
package will sometimes have need for the new state. 
 
Working Group Summary
 
The SIPPING WG supports the development and advancement of this document.

In the context of this document, there was discussion around enhancing
the Registration Event Package for other information, but that was deemed
beyond the scope of this draft, which is explicitly intended to extend the
Registration Event Package to support GRUUs. 
 
Protocol Quality
 
This document defines no new protocol elements, but rather uses the 
existing extensibility mechanism defined in RFC 3680 to add an extension
to support GRUUs. 

This document was thoroughly reviewed by WG chairs and WG members,
including those with XML expertise. 

Mary Barnes is the WG chair shepherd. Jon Peterson is the responsible
Area director.

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP