Subject: [Sipping] Protocol Action: 'IPv6 Transition in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:37:47 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'IPv6 Transition in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) '
   <draft-ietf-sipping-v6-transition-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Proposal 
Investigation Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jon Peterson and Cullen Jennings.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-v6-transition-07.txt

Technical Summary
 
This document describes how IPv4 Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
user agents can communicate with IPv6 SIP user agents (and vice
versa) at the signaling layer as well as exchange media once the
session has been successfully set up. Both single- and dual-stack
(i.e., an IPv4-only and an IPv4/IPv6) user agents are considered.

Working Group Summary
 
The SIPPING WG supports the development and advancement of this document.
In addition, this document updates RFC 3264, which was developed in the
MMUSIC WG.  However, the MMUSIC chairs have agreed to the completion of
this work within the SIPPING WG. 
 
Protocol Quality
 
This document defines a normative update to the processing described
in RFC 3264.  It does not introduce any new protocol elements. This
normative processing is clearly defined in section 4.1. 

This document was thoroughly reviewed by WG chairs and WG members,
including those with expertise in IPv4 to IPv6 transitions and
interworking. 

Mary Barnes is the WG chair shepherd. Jon Peterson is the responsible
Area director. Gen-ART review was provided by Suresh Krishnan

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP