Subject: [Sipping] Backup notes for the second SIPPING working group session, IETF 69

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:49:33 -0400

[This seems to have been lost in transit.]

SIPPING working group session

IETF Meeting 69, Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
13:00 Thursday 26 July 2007

** Note Well statement

** Present agenda

** Present scheme for advancing documents that make normative changes
to SIP but do not require heavy assessment of requirements.

** Jonathan Rosenberg gives status of overload control study
	Simulations are being worked on
	Comparing various overload control algorithms

** Extension to pause/resume notifications

Presented by Mohammad Vakil.

Question regarding how large are the costs of establishing a
subscription
	Author refers to draft
	Discussion ensues

More discussion regarding whether this mechanism will provide
significant savings.

Chair takes hum whether this problem is interesting -- Pro slightly
louder than Con.  Chair encourages author to discuss on the mailing
list.

** SIP file directory

Presented by Miguel Garcia.

Rohan Mahy asks why the requirements aren't presented first.  Gonzalo
Camarillo responds that the current organization was the Chair's
idea, to establish first a "best" mechanism and then to assess whether
it is worth implementing.

Chair emphasizes he wants a discussion of "Why use SIP for file
subscriptions?"

Discussion ensued, as to whether the subject is worth the work.

Discussion ensues as to the correct WG for this study.

** Transparent B2BUA

Presented by Xavier Marjou.

Chair reminds speaker that presentation is to discuss requirements.

Discussion regarding the use of the term "transparent B2BUA".

Discussion regarding what the overall purpose of this document is or
should be.

Idea was floated that this I-D is "BEHAVE for SBCs".

Chair takes hum that "BEHAVE for SBCs" would be useful vs. harmful --
"harmful" is louder.

** Replace Instant Message in SIP

Presented by Da Qi Ren.

Chair emphasizes that this discussion is about "Is it useful?", not
about the implementation mechanism.

Discussion ensued as to whether message recall/replacement was
possible, desirable, or would be demanded by users.

Author was advised by some participants that the problem was
intractable and could eat his life.

Chair asks for hum regarding whether this operation (regarding
replaces and recall together) was useful vs. useless -- "useless" is
louder.

** Response Code for Indication of Terminated Dialog

Presented by Christer Holmberg.

Question raised whether this problems is the same as the HERFP
problem.  Chair assures audience that that question will be addressed.

Vigorous discussion regarding the resources that might be saved using
this mechanism.

Meta-discussion of the amount of benefit needed to make a proposal
worth working on.

Chair takes hum on whether should be worked on -- majority for "worked
on".

** Media Description for IKE in SDP

This I-D was referred to SIPPING from MMUSIC.

Chair states this is to review this proposal and decide whether it's a
sensible use of SIP.

Chair determined that nobody had read draft.

Chair asked for volunteers to read the draft and report.

(Notes taken by Dale Worley.)

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP