Subject: [Sipping] draft-hilt-sipping-overload and RPH

From: Janet P Gunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 17:14:13 -0400

Section 4.3 of Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Overload Control 
(draft-hilt-sipping-overload-02) provides  priority treatment for 
Emergency requests, in accordance with 
 “ [8]  Rosen, B., "Framework for Emergency Calling in Internet
        Multimedia", draft-ietf-ecrit-framework-01 (work in progress),
        March 2007.”
“4.3.  Emergency Services Requests

   It is generally recommended that SIP servers, which need to reject
   requests due to overload, SHOULD treat emergency services request [8]
   with highest priority and preserve them if possible.  When a SIP
   server receives an emergency services request, it should not be
   treated by alleviation methods and should be processed immediately.
   In some cases, a SIP server may receive more emergency services
   requests than it is allowed to forward.  This may happen, for
   example, to a SIP server that is serving an emergency service center.
   In these cases and after rejecting/redirecting all non-emergency
   service requests, a SIP server should also include emergency service
   requests in the alleviation treatment to avoid that the downstream
   server becomes overloaded.”

However  this document also references.
“[6]  Rosenberg, J., "Requirements for Management of Overload in the
        Session Initiation Protocol",
        draft-rosenberg-sipping-overload-reqs-02 (work in progress),
        October 2006.” 

In the requirements document, Requirement 13 says:
“   REQ 13: The mechanism must not dictate a specific algorithm for
      prioritizing the processing of work within a proxy during times of
      overload.  It must permit a proxy to prioritize requests based on
      any local policy, so that certain ones (such as a call for
      emergency services or a call with a specific value of of the
      Resource-Priority header field [3]) are processed ahead of others.”

draft-hilt-sipping-overload-02 prioritizes treatment for “an emergency 
services request”, but does not provide prioritized treatment for “a call 
with a specific value of  the  Resource-Priority header field”.

I would like to see draft-hilt-sipping-overload-02 modified to provide 
prioritized treatment for BOTH “emergency services” and “specific value of 
RPH”

Thanks

Janet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient, please 
delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the mistake in 
delivery. NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to 
bind CSC to any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit 
written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of 
e-mail for such purpose.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP