Subject: [Sipping] I-D Action:draft-ietf-sipping-service-identification-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 11:20:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Proposal Investigation Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Identification of Communications Services in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
	Author(s)       : J. Rosenberg
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sipping-service-identification-00.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2007-08-01

This document considers the problem of service identification in the
Session Initiation Protocol (SIP).  Service identification is the
process of determining the user-level use case that is driving the
signaling being utilized by the user agent.  While seemingly simple,
this process is quite complex, and when not addressed properly, can
lead to fraud, interoperability problems, and stifling of innovation.
This document discusses these problems and makes recommendations on
how to address them.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-service-identification-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-sipping-service-identification-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-service-identification-00.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Mahesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 12:10:47 +0530

hi
I'm looking for some fundamental clarifications in this draft.

It is with regard to distinctly diffrentiating the Applications using a 
Communication Service and
the Communication Service itself (and thus Communication Service 
Identification & Application Identification).
(Example:
    - Chess Game is an Application used by User to interact with another 
User and the Application
       uses(May)  Messaging  Communication Service
    - Instant Messenger is an Applciation used by User to interact with 
another User and the Application
      again uses Messaging  Communicaiton Service.
    - Voice Call is an Application used by User to interact with another 
User and the Application
        uses CS Telephony or VoIP Communcation service.
)

Starting with, let me discuss w.r.t the following excerpt from the draft
"Service  identification is the process of determining and/or signaling the
   specific use case that is driving the signaling being generated by a
   user agent."

Here, if the signaling is really able to signal the Use-Case that is driving 
the Signaling
then it would be Application Identification rather than just just 
Communication Service Identification
because the Use-Case(defining the User Experience) is modelled by the 
Application and not the
Communication Service.
But i'm confused, because the draft title is "Identification of 
Communication Services" and also in the
definition itself , it says  "Service Identification". Should this be 
"Communication Service Identification"
???. If so i feel a siganling/determining  a Communication Service is not 
synonymous to determining/siganlling
the Use Case which is driving the signalling.

So i tried to seek answer in Sec 3 which tries to define "Service". Here 
extract from RFC 4479(Presence
Data Model) is referred to define a Service.
" Each presentity has access to a number of services.  Each of these 
represents a point of reachability for
  communications that can be   used to interact with the user."

There are two ways of interpreting this
    i1)- "Point of reachability for Communications " can be WhiteBoard,
       Chess Game,Chatt Application  which are all different instances of 
Interaction with the User.
    i2)- "Point of reachability for Communications" can be Messaging 
Service, CS Telephony, PS Telephony
        which can be used by Applications such as Game,Instant 
Messenger,WhiteBoard etc to enable
        interaction with the User.

It is more meaningful  if it were (i1), so that the Presentity Info conveys 
exactly the kind of Use-Case
/Interaction that a User can engage in with another User.Which Communication 
Service would be used
to achive the Interaction/Use-Case may be irrelevant to the User.

But again later on in Sec3 of the draft i find the following:
"Essentially, the service is the user-visible use case that is driving
   the behavior of the user-agents and servers in the SIP network."

This confuses me further because if "Service" is looked as as a user-visible 
use case then
there is ambiguity  because
    - The Title of  the draft is "Identification of Communication Service",
    - However The term "Service" is being used to refer to the User Visible 
Usecase but definition of Service
       Identification says "Service  identification is the process of 
determining and/or signaling the
   specific use-case".

    - User Visible Use Case cannot be synonymous to Communication Service, 
in other words a Communication
        service may not be able to completely indicate/describe the User 
experience. For Example: by inidcating
        a Messaging Communication Service i cannot know if User is wants 
Gaming or Chatting.

I may be missing something in basic principle of "Service". Can somebody 
help me get clarity here.

regards
Mahesh Anjanappa

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 8:50 PM
Subject: [Sipping] I-D 
Action:draft-ietf-sipping-service-identification-00.txt