Subject: [Sipping] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sipping-race-examples-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 12:15:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Proposal Investigation Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Examples call flow in race condition on Session Initiation Protocol
	Author(s)	: M. Hasebe, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-sipping-race-examples-03.txt
	Pages		: 62
	Date		: 2007-8-10
	
This document gives examples of the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
   call flows in race condition.  Call flows in race condition are
   confusing, and this document shows the best practice to handle them.
   The elements in these call flows include SIP User Agents and SIP
   Proxies.  Call flow diagrams and message details are shown.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-race-examples-03.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-sipping-race-examples-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-race-examples-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 13:04:33 -0500

Hi all,

Per discussion at IETF-69, this document was agreed to be ready to
forward to AD/IESG for review, following confirmation from previous
reviewers that any concerns raised were resolved. You can find past
comments by clicking on the reviewer's name in the spreadsheet:
http://www.softarmor.com/sipping/process/wg-review/sipping-rt.html 
(Note: an updated spreadsheet will be submitted shortly, but clicking on
the draft name will take you to the -03 and not the -01 and you may have
to shift to the right to see the reviewer's names). 

As usual the diffs are available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/sipping/draft-ietf-sipping-race-examples/draft-
ietf-sipping-race-examples-03-from-02.diff.html
Or you can generate your own diff between the -01 which was the WGLC
version and the -03 on the IETF tools website:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff

Miki has already forwarded the updated document to past reviewers for
review and we ask that any additional comments or just a note expressing
agreement to the readiness to be sent to Miki, cc'ing the mailing list
by August 24th.  The chairs will work on the PROTO write-up during this
time and the document is planned to be forwarded by the end of the
month.

Thanks,
Mary
SIPPING WG co-chair

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2007 11:15 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sipping] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sipping-race-examples-03.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Proposal
Investigation Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Examples call flow in race condition on
Session Initiation Protocol
	Author(s)	: M. Hasebe, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-sipping-race-examples-03.txt
	Pages		: 62
	Date		: 2007-8-10

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-race-examples-03.
txt

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 15:24:05 -0500

> time and the document is planned to be forwarded by the end of the

Miki: I went through the diffs between -01 and -03, including the
XLS spreadsheet that you had put together (thanks!  Helps in tracking
the issues.)

All except one issue raised in my WGLC have been adequately
tended to.

The one issue that I do not see a resolution to is number 8 in my
review of May 18, 2007 (see
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sipping/current/msg13787.html).
We did have some technical discussions on that issue on the list.
An adequate resolution would be simply to provide a one-sentence
guidance to quarantine the BYE in such cases until the re-INV
transaction has finished.

I did not see that issue mentioned in the XLS spreadsheet, so
maybe it just slipped through and never made it to your list of
things to modify...

Thanks,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
2701 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9F-546, Lisle, Illinois 60532 (USA)
Email: vkg@{alcatel-lucent.com,bell-labs.com,acm.org}
WWW:   http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/bell-labs

---

From: Miki HASEBE <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 17:27:55 +0900

Hi Vijay,

I'm so sorry. I have neglected to reflect this issue you pointed out.

Following Note will be added to the first paragraph of P.53.

   Note: As noted in Section 3.1.4, there is a hint for implementation
   to avoid this case.  That is for the UAC to delay sending BYE F2
   until re-INVITE F1 transaction completes.  Implementors can decouple
   the actions of the user (e.g. hanging up) from the actions of the
   protocol (the sending of BYE F2), so that the UA can behave as such.
   In this case, it is dependent on the implementor's choice as to how
   long it waits.  In most cases, such implementation may be useful to
   prevent this case.

I will submit the revision as race-examples-04 after this.

Thank you,
Miki

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 08:25:55 -0500

> Following Note will be added to the first paragraph of P.53.
[...]
> I will submit the revision as race-examples-04 after this.

Miki: That is fine.  I do not have any further comments, and the
draft is golden from my side.

Thanks,

- vijay