Subject: [Sipping] Proposed Milestone updates

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 15:25:06 -0500

Hi all,

Below are the proposed updated milestones for SIPPING WG. I've added a
---Note:--- against the items/dates that are different from what was
presented at IETF-69.  We are getting into a backlog (deadlock in some
cases)  and missing some dates, in particular for forwarding to IESG.
So, I'm now going to routinely project IESG dates to be 4 months after
the WGLC date, since that seems to be what is currently happening.  I
had previously used 3 months, allowing 6 weeks for editors to update
documents and then a few more weeks to garner any additional feedback
and less than a week for the chair to do the PROTO write-up, but the
majority of documents are being shifted by one or more months.  I am
using the approach that Gonzalo brought up the list earlier this year
that docs go to the end of the queue, balancing with not progressing
more than 2 sets of documents each month, to minimize any potential AD
bottleneck since he's got many groups forwarding docs. 

Please review the dates and provide feedback to the mailing list on or
before Sept. 12th, 2007. 

You can skip the rant if you want, but if you are concerned about WG
progress, please read and let me know if you've got constructive
suggestions to get around these areas of concern.  

I will be sending a separate email highlighting specific document
details, tokens and milestones, including a link to the updated
spreadsheets. 

<rant on>
For a couple of the documents, the issue seems to be lack of feedback
from previous reviewers for docs that are post-WGLC. The feedback from
the entire WG is always welcome during this period, but it is especially
important for folks that did identify specific issues to re-review the
document and make sure that the changes are consistent with email
discussions, etc.  It is not a good idea for the chairs to assume that
no feedback means the document is ready.  So, even if you don't have
explicit feedback, please post to the list that you think the document
is Ready.  With the diffs available, it is usually not too, too
difficult to double check document changes.  Your previous comments can
be accessed via a link in the spreadsheet. 

There are also a number of documents that are in the "Awaiting Update"
state that are "overdue".  The chairs have started pinging editors more
frequently, but it would also help to have editors let us know
proactively when they know they can't make the dates.  Also, some of
these documents are in this state because editors are not getting
feedback from folks that have expressed concerns (e.g., folks that might
raise issues during meetings).  Some of these concerns are likely quite
valid, BUT if you all don't have the bandwidth to follow-up with the
document editor, it puts all of us in a bad position - the editor can't
make the changes needed, so the WG doesn't get an updated document that
can be progressed OR we end up progressing documents that we shouldn't
that you'll still have issues with at IETF LC time.    
<rant off> 

Regards, 
Mary.
SIPPING WG co-chair

Updated milestones for SIPPING Working Group:
----------------------------------------------

Done      SIP Service Examples to IESG as BCP  ---Note--- change in
document track from Info to BCP
Done      Format Extension for Capacity Attributes in Resource Lists to
the IESG as PS
Done      WGLC SPAM problems in SIP
Done      WGLC Session Border Controller requirements 
Done      Multiple Dialog Usages to IESG as Info 
Done      WGLC User Agent Profile for Media Policy 
Done      WGLC Session Policy package 
Done      SPAM problems in SIP to IESG as Info 
Done      Session Border Controller requirements to IESG as Info 
Done      WGLC SIP Torture Tests for IPv6 
Done      WGLC Call Control Framework 
Oct  2007 User Agent Profile for Media Policy to the IESG as PS ---Note:
was Sept ----
Oct  2007 Session Policy package to the IESG as PS   ---Note: was Sept
----
Nov  2007 WGLC NAT scenarios   --Note: this had been Sept, but we are
doing an initial review in Sept ---
Done      SIP Torture Tests for IPv6 to the IESG as Info  ---Note: this
was Early! ----
Nov  2007 Call Control Framework to the IESG as Info ---Note: was
Oct----
Sept 2007 SIP Call Control - Transfer to IESG as Info  ----Note: was
Aug---
Sept 2007 WGLC SIP Offer/Answer Examples 
Done      WGLC Requirements for Management of Overload in SIP 
Feb  2008 NAT Scenarios to IESG as Info --- Note: was Dec ---
Done      WGLC SIP Race Condition Examples 
Oct  2007 Requirements for Management of Overload in SIP to IESG as Info
---Note: was Sept ---
Jan  2008 SIP Offer/Answer Examples to IESG as Info 
Sept 2007 SIP Race Condition Examples to IESG as Info  ---Note: was Aug
---

The following are new milestones to be added:
Jan 2008  WGLC Service Identification
May 2008  Service Identification to IESG as BCP

With the following old milestones to be deleted (these documents were
moved to the SIP WG - somehow I missed this on the last charter update):
Nov 2005  Submit I-D on Subscriptions to Ad-Hoc Resource Lists to the
IESG as PS 
Nov 2005  Submit I-D on Multiple REFER to the IESG as PS 
Nov 2005  Submit I-D on Ad-Hoc Conferencing using URI lists to the IESG
as PS 
Nov 2005  Submit URI List Transport Mechanism to the IESG as PS 

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP