Subject: [Sipping] draft-ietf-sipping-update-pai-00: open issue 2

From: "Elwell, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 09:56:43 +0000

The open issue is: "Should we allow use of PAI in all mid-dialog
requests (including PRACK, INFO, BYE etc.) rather than just UPDATE? The
present motivation in this document is that an identity may change
mid-dialog, and although the new identity can at present be conveyed in
a re-INVITE request, this needs extending to UPDATE requests. I don't
think any other method would need to be used to convey a new identity
mid-dialog. Therefore the only motivation for extending to all
mid-dialog requests is to provide an explicit assertion that the source
of each request has been authenticated."

Although a number of views were put forward at the meeting, I think the
eventual consensus was to leave it as it is in the draft. In other
words, PAI is specified for specific requests where there is particular
motivation, i.e., to reflect a change of asserted identity compared with
that asserted earlier in the dialog. The absence of PAI in a mid-dialog
request implies no change of assertion. I think this is in line with
most deployments, including IMS.

Therefore if there are no objections I will close the open issue and not
make further changes in 01.

John
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP