Subject: [Sipping] Request for Open discussion about SIP mobility

From: Haruki Izumikawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 15:43:09 +0900

Hello folks,

I'd like to have an open discussion about SIP-based mobility in this ML.
Mobility managements using SIP have been actively studied and developed
worldwide since "Mobility Support Using SIP" (by Elin and Henning) was
published. SIP-based mobility would have strong advantages such as its
great affinity for an application as well as flexibility, i.e., terminal
mobility can be optimally supported independent from underlying network.
On the other hand, despite many advantages, it is not used for
large-scale commercial yet. In addition, the discussion about SIP-based
mobility in IETF seems to be undynamic.
These days, a multimode terminal is getting popular. Each access
networks, e.g., cellular and WLAN, have different characteristics in
terms of throughput or delay. In such a heterogeneous network, SIP
becomes more useful tool for mobility management because of its
flexibility. The quality of a multimedia service can be adaptively
changed in accordance with a nature of an access networks even after
changing an access network. I think it is time to resume discussing
about SIP-based mobility. For your information, I have submitted I-D
regarding seamless session handoff by SIP-based bicasting.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-izumikawa-sipping-sipbicast-01.txt
I would be happy to hear frank opinions of SIP specialists.

Best regards,

Haruki

-- 
Haruki Izumikawa
KDDI R&D Laboratories

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP