Subject: [Sipping] Notify Pause and Resume Draft

From: Sriram Parameswar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:37:12 -0700

I had asked the chairs about moving forward with the "draft-vakil-sipping-notify-pause" draft. There was active discussion on this list previously and also there is some interest in OMA to move this work forward. I am requesting feedback from the SIPPING list.

For those have not read it yet - you can find it at: http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vakil-sipping-notify-pause-02.txt

Thanks,

Sriram Parameswar
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Salvatore Loreto <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 15:31:05 +0300

Hi Sriram,

I have read the draft and I have few comments.

In several part of the draft, like for example in the Introduction you 
state that "There is no mechanism to
temporarily pause the notification, while still maintaining a 
subscription on the server".
You can have the same result of a pause with the mechanism described in 
the event-throttle draft.
In effect the two drafts provide a quite similar mechanism even if each 
as some little advantages on the other.

So even if with throttle if possible to pause the subscription, it is 
more to throttle than to pause an event notification.

The pause mechanism described in this notify-pause draft gives more 
features to pause an event notification like the
possibility to simply perform a fetch subscription within a paused dialog.

/Sal

---

From: Aki Niemi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 16:41:32 +0300

> as some little advantages on the other.

In fact, it seems there are several ways to achieve this. Also
subnot-etags will effectively allow one to pause a subscription by
sending a SUBSCRIBE with Suppress-If-Match: *. As the * value will match
any entity-tag, all NOTIFYs will be suppressed during the remainder of
the subscription.

Cheers,
Aki

-- 
Aki Niemi
Maemo Software, Nokia Devices R&D