Subject: Re: [Sipping] Comment on draft-haluska-sipping-directory-assistance-05

From: "Haluska, John J" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 20:19:08 -0400

James

Thanks a lot for your comment and for taking an interest in this draft, and I apologize for the delayed response. You're correct that location could play an important role for such services. This is not covered in the current document; we'll definitely consider how the SIP location conveyance document could fit in. Thanks again for your comment.

John Haluska

===============================================

To: sipping at ietf.org
Subject: [Sipping] Comment on draft-haluska-sipping-directory-assistance-05
From: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk at cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 13:01:11 -0500
Sender: sipping-bounces at ietf.org
I think the ability to provide physical location should be considered
for some of this solution, given that at least some of the DA
information will (perhaps need to be) location specific to within a
geographic area, or pertaining to the location of the requester. I
can give countless examples if needed.  Here are a few

- Which Pizza Hut?
- Which Joe's Barbershop?
- Which Main Street? 1st Street? 2nd Street? 5th Avenue?
- With Peachtree road/lane/avenue/turnpike/street/etc... (in just Atlanta)?
- How does "the system" know the person is calling from Atlanta?
-      ... from Manhattan and not the Bronx or Brooklyn?

Automated answers will likely depend on where someone is requesting
from, or where someone is requesting to/for. Human ones probably will too...

The reference to use for SIP Location Conveyance can be found here:
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/sip/draft-ietf-sip-location-conveyance/

This ID is done except for one final header parameter (a result of
WGLC comments).

James

At 12:15 PM 5/13/2008, Internet-Drafts at ietf.org wrote:
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
>directories.
>
>         Title           : Considerations for Information Services
> and Operator Services Using SIP
>         Author(s)       : J. Haluska, et al.
>         Filename        : draft-haluska-sipping-directory-assistance-05.txt
>         Pages           : 91
>         Date            : 2008-05-08
>
>Information Services are services whereby information is provided
>in response to user requests, and may include involvement of a
>human or automated agent. A popular existing Information Service is
>Directory Assistance (DA). Moving ahead, Information Services
>providers envision exciting multimedia services that support
>simultaneous voice and data interactions with full operator backup
>at any time during the call. Information Services providers are
>planning to migrate to SIP based platforms, which will enable such
>advanced services, while continuing to support traditional DA
>services. Operator Services are traditional PSTN services which
>often involve providing human or automated assistance to a caller,
>and often require the specialized capabilities traditionally
>provided by an operator services switch. Market and/or regulatory
>factors in some jurisdictions dictate that some subset of Operator
>Services continue to be provided going forward. This document aims
>to identify how Operator and Information Services can be
>implemented using existing or currently proposed SIP mechanisms, to
>identity existing protocol gaps, and to provide a set of Best
>Current Practices to facilitate interoperability. For Operator
>Services, the intention is to reproduce the current PSTN behaviour.
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-haluska-sipping-directory-assistance-05.txt
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
>ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
>
>Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
>implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
>Internet-Draft.
>
>
><ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-haluska-sipping-directory-assistance-05.txt>
>_______________________________________________
>I-D-Announce mailing list
>I-D-Announce at ietf.org
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
>Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
>or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use sip-implementors at cs.columbia.edu for questions on current sip
Use sip at ietf.org for new developments of core SIP

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP