Subject: [Sipping] First SIP Forum Fax Interoperability Workshop

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 14:34:13 -0500

Yes, you read that right, this is a *Fax* Interoperability Workshop.

Location:
The W San Francisco Hotel -- (across the street from the Moscone  
Convention Center and the VoiceCon show)
Workroom #2, 3rd Floor.
181 Third Street, San Francisco CA 94103

Date & Time: Monday, November 10, 2008 -- 11:00am - 3:00pm
Cost: FREE
Organizer: SIP Forum
Lead Sponsor: Dialogic

BACKGROUND
==========
The demand for fax and fax services remains high. Fax Over IP (FoIP)  
is gaining momentum in the industry, but a number of issues remain  
that seriously impact interoperability and reliability.

Issue: G.711 Fax Reliability:

The ITU-T T.38 FoIP protocol standard overcame many of the issues  
experienced when transmitting a fax over G.711. However, many Service  
Providers use VoIP Gateways that do not support T.38. These Carriers  
pass fax traffic through their network using G.711. Fax traffic is  
highly sensitive to packet loss. The loss of fax packets (from latency  
or jitter for example) results in faxes to fail and be re-transmitted  
which uses more bandwidth and lowers the end user’s satisfaction. Many  
carriers desire a FoIP solution that allows them to utilize their non- 
T.38 infrastructure to reliably carry fax traffic.

Issue: T.38 Fax Interoperability:

Many enterprises use T.38 for fax transmission. However, variations in  
the interpretation of the T.38 specification have lead to various  
interoperability challenges between vendors. There is speculation that  
improvements or profiles during session setup can alleviate many of  
these problems.

WORKSHOP OVERVIEW
=================
The SIP Forum FoIP Interoperability Workshop will bring together  
researchers, engineers, and service providers to exchange ideas, share  
experiences, and propose approaches to address FoIP problems.   
Particular focus will be on the use and applicability of SIP to  
address systemic or architectural problems. We will not be examining  
implementation errors.  If the workshop identifies concrete proposals  
to improve FoIP that would require modifications to the underlying  
protocols, we will forward these proposals to the appropriate groups  
in the IETF, IEEE, or ITU-T.

Topics of interest include but are not limited to:

     * Interoperability failures seen in the field or lab
     * Reliability or quality issues seen in the field or lab
     * Deployment experiences
     * Development experiences
     * Architectural principals
     * Proposals for achieving a higher degree of FoIP  
interoperability and/or FoIP reliability
     * Proposals for soliciting additional real-world feedback from  
implementers and service providers

DISCUSSION MATERIALS
====================
The purpose of having position papers for this workshop is purely to  
help focus discussion and allow participants to get a feel for what  
other participants are thinking about. This is not a scholarly  
conference. PowerPoint presentations are fine! The goal of the  
workshop is not to publish high-quality research papers. The goal of  
the workshop is to publish a workshop report discussing the technical  
issues that are of the utmost importance to the industry, as well as a  
roadmap for how to address them.

We encourage Individuals to submit position papers relevant to FoIP.  
Acceptable formats are IETF Internet Draft style (in HTML or plain  
text), IEEE Computer Society Proceedings Manuscripts style (in PDF),  
ACM Transactions style (in PDF), or presentation style (in PDF). The  
papers should be no longer than 6 pages if in IEEE or ACM style or 10  
pages of text in Internet Draft style. There is no minimum length  
requirement. You may submit relevant, previously published works. If  
there is a copyright issue with the SIP Forum posting previously  
published papers, please give us a reference to the paper so we can  
direct participants to the appropriate publisher.

Papers received by the submission deadline will be posted to the  
Workshop web site, unless the author(s) request withholding  
publication. The author(s) may retain copyright or assign it to the  
SIP Forum. If you are submitting a paper that already has a copyright  
assignment, such as an IEEE or ACM conference or journal paper, please  
apply the appropriate self-publication disclaimers demanded by those  
organizations.

Submit your position paper using EasyChair at the following address:

http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=sffiw1

WORKSHOP FORMAT
===============
The expectation is this will be a highly interactive workshop. In  
order to frame the conversation, the workshop chair will open the  
discussion. At the discretion of the workshop chair and dependent upon  
the quality and number of position papers received, the workshop chair  
may request formal presentations. Note that all position papers will  
be published on the SIP Forum web site, unless the author(s) request  
withholding publication.

WORKSHOP FEES
The workshop, including lunch, is free of charge to active participants.

WORKSHOP CHAIR: Richard Shockey
PROGRAM WHIP: Max Schroeder
PROGRAM COMMITTEE: Eric Burger

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Schwarz Albrecht" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 09:23:42 +0100

Eric,

any reasons why the fax transport option Fax-over-VBDoIP according ITU-T
V.152 is out of scope of this workshop?
We do see much more deployments of V.152 vs T.38 in public VoIP NGNs.
And V.152 is also used in enterprise networks.
It's basically a matter of GoS of the IP transport network.

V.152 offers non-assured and assured transport options.

It should be also pointed out that there is a difference between "Fax
over G.711" and "Fax over V.152 with G.711 as VBD codec"! G.711 is used
as voice codec in the first option, and as VBD codec in the V.152 mode.
The particular difference relates to the (G.168) EC handling and VBD
stimuli.

The main benefits of V.152 fax vs T.38 fax are
a) significant less GW resources required in terms of DSP/CPU time &
memory ("cheaper") and
b) much simpler control/configuration parameters (thus, less inteop
issues).

Furthermore:
there is an interoperability topic concerning the peering of T.38 and
V.152 IP domains.
There is a new standard in progress for that, see Draft ITU-T
V.IP2IP-VxF "V.152 to T.38 peering / interworking"
(http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/workprog/wp_search.aspx?isn_sp=1&isn_sg=153),
because neither T.38 nor V.152 does scope the IP-to-IP scenario.

> this is a *Fax* Interoperability Workshop.

Should be:  "this is a *T.38 Fax* Interoperability Workshop. :-)

Also T.37 Fax is out of scope, right?

BR, Albrecht

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Eric Burger
> Sent: Montag, 3. November 2008 20:34
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Sipping] First SIP Forum Fax Interoperability Workshop
> 
> The W San Francisco Hotel -- (across the street from the 
> Moscone Convention Center and the VoiceCon show) Workroom #2, 
> 3rd Floor.
> The demand for fax and fax services remains high. Fax Over IP 
> (FoIP) is gaining momentum in the industry, but a number of 
> issues remain that seriously impact interoperability and reliability.
> 
> The ITU-T T.38 FoIP protocol standard overcame many of the 
> issues experienced when transmitting a fax over G.711. 
> However, many Service Providers use VoIP Gateways that do not 
> support T.38. These Carriers pass fax traffic through their 
> network using G.711. Fax traffic is highly sensitive to 
> packet loss. The loss of fax packets (from latency or jitter 
> for example) results in faxes to fail and be re-transmitted 
> which uses more bandwidth and lowers the end user's 
> satisfaction. Many carriers desire a FoIP solution that 
> allows them to utilize their non-
> Many enterprises use T.38 for fax transmission. However, 
> variations in the interpretation of the T.38 specification 
> have lead to various interoperability challenges between 
> vendors. There is speculation that improvements or profiles 
> during session setup can alleviate many of these problems.
> 
> 
> WORKSHOP OVERVIEW
> =================
> The SIP Forum FoIP Interoperability Workshop will bring 
> together researchers, engineers, and service providers to 
> exchange ideas, share  
> Particular focus will be on the use and applicability of SIP 
> to address systemic or architectural problems. We will not be 
> examining implementation errors.  If the workshop identifies 
> concrete proposals to improve FoIP that would require 
> modifications to the underlying protocols, we will forward 
> these proposals to the appropriate groups in the IETF, IEEE, or ITU-T.
> 
>      * Proposals for soliciting additional real-world 
> feedback from implementers and service providers
> 
> 
> 
> 
> DISCUSSION MATERIALS
> ====================
> The purpose of having position papers for this workshop is 
> purely to help focus discussion and allow participants to get 
> a feel for what other participants are thinking about. This 
> is not a scholarly conference. PowerPoint presentations are 
> fine! The goal of the workshop is not to publish high-quality 
> research papers. The goal of the workshop is to publish a 
> workshop report discussing the technical issues that are of 
> the utmost importance to the industry, as well as a roadmap 
> for how to address them.
> 
> Acceptable formats are IETF Internet Draft style (in HTML or 
> plain text), IEEE Computer Society Proceedings Manuscripts 
> style (in PDF), ACM Transactions style (in PDF), or 
> presentation style (in PDF). The papers should be no longer 
> than 6 pages if in IEEE or ACM style or 10 pages of text in 
> Internet Draft style. There is no minimum length requirement. 
> You may submit relevant, previously published works. If there 
> is a copyright issue with the SIP Forum posting previously 
> published papers, please give us a reference to the paper so 
> we can direct participants to the appropriate publisher.
> 
> Papers received by the submission deadline will be posted to 
> the Workshop web site, unless the author(s) request 
> withholding publication. The author(s) may retain copyright 
> or assign it to the SIP Forum. If you are submitting a paper 
> that already has a copyright assignment, such as an IEEE or 
> ACM conference or journal paper, please apply the appropriate 
> self-publication disclaimers demanded by those organizations.
> 
> The expectation is this will be a highly interactive 
> workshop. In order to frame the conversation, the workshop 
> chair will open the discussion. At the discretion of the 
> workshop chair and dependent upon the quality and number of 
> position papers received, the workshop chair may request 
> formal presentations. Note that all position papers will be 
> published on the SIP Forum web site, unless the author(s) 
> request withholding publication.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> WORKSHOP FEES