Subject: [Sipping] Comments on draft-niccolini-sipping-siphandover-05

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 16:06:10 -0800

I'd like it if the requirements state that the solution be able to  
support a "make before break" style of handover even if it possible to  
use the solution to also do "break before make".

Cullen <in my individual contributor role>

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Stefano Salsano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 03:02:00 +0100

Dear Cullen,

thank you for this suggestion, I fully agree on it.

I think it can be included in further revisions on this draft or in the 
work of the design team that has been proposed by Saverio.

Cheers,
Stefano

-- 
*******************************************************************
Stefano Salsano
Dipartimento Ingegneria Elettronica
Universita' di Roma "Tor Vergata"
Via del Politecnico, 1 - 00133 Roma - ITALY

http://netgroup.uniroma2.it/Stefano_Salsano/

E-mail  : [email-masked]
Cell.   : +39 320 4307310
Office  : (Tel.) +39 06 72597770  (Fax.) +39 06 72597435
*******************************************************************
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Yoji KISHI <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 11:04:21 +0900

Cullen,

Thank you for your comment on our updated requirement draft.

Support of the "make before break" style handover
relates to the first mandatory requirement in section 4.
The "make before break" is one of the promissing approach to
fulfill the requirement.

Reference [13] proposes a method to perform the "make before break"
handover through bi-casting media stream to respective network interface
by SIP messages. The work was also proposed as an I-D
(draft-izumikawa-sipping-sipbicast-01).

Regards,

Yoji Kishi

---

From: "Saverio Niccolini" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 10:21:02 +0100

Cullen,

thanks for the comment.

"make before break" is indeed one of the objective of this, citing the first
requirement:
"The solution should take care of handover as fast as possible."
We can change the wording to take into explicit account your comment.

Please also note that in the draft we reference:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-salsano-sipping-siphandover-solution-02

[9]   Salsano, S.,  Veltri , L.,  Polidoro , A., and A.  Ordine ,
         "Architecture and testbed implementation of vertical handovers
         based on SIP Session Border Controllers", Wireless Personal
         Communications, Springer , November 2007.

[10]  Salsano, S., Mingardi, C., Niccolini, S., Polidoro, A., and L.
         Veltri, "SIP-based Mobility Management in Next Generation
         Networks", IEEE Wireless Communication , April 2008.

And also please note that Stefano recently released software for 
the handover solution:
http://netgroup.uniroma2.it/twiki/bin/view.cgi/Netgroup/MMUSEProject

Cheers,
Saverio

============================================================
Dr. Saverio Niccolini
Manager, Real-Time Communications Group
NEC Laboratories Europe, Network Research Division	
Kurfuerstenanlage 36, D-69115 Heidelberg
Tel.     +49 (0)6221 4342-118
Fax:     +49 (0)6221 4342-155
e-mail:  [email-masked] <-- !!! NEW ADDRESS !!!
============================================================
NEC Europe Limited Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria
Road, London W3 6BL Registered in England 2832014

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Cullen Jennings
> Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:06 AM
> To: sipping
> Subject: [Sipping] Comments on draft-niccolini-sipping-siphandover-05
> 
> 
> I'd like it if the requirements state that the solution be 
> able to support a "make before break" style of handover even 
> if it possible to use the solution to also do "break before make".
> 
> Use [email-masked] for questions on current 
> sip Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP
>