Subject: [Sipping] Comment on draft-loreto-sipping-context-id-requirements

From: "Elwell, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 17:03:49 +0000

I think the case where a participant in a call has audio on one device
and video on a different device (and similarly for other media) is an
interesting problem space. The use of two separate dialogs to the remote
UA to achieve this is not the only solution, and has the disadvantage
that it requires the remote UA to handle two separate dialogs, rather
than the normal single dialog for multiple media. With this solution,
the special needs of one side require special support on the other side.
There may not be incentive for the other side to provide such support.

John
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 12:17:23 -0500

John,

Thanks. I've been trying to make this point for awhile, without (I 
guess) being understood.

IMO all of these use cases can be solved by having the cooperating 
devices on one end organize themselves and present one signaling session 
to the other end. This can be achieved using existing mechanisms.

These are use cases of considerable interest. I can see how an 
informative document that shows how to realize these use cases could be 
useful. But I don't see any need for normative work.

	Thanks,
	Paul