Subject: [Sipping] FW: [Sip] Change to IETF RFC and draft rules

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 10:51:54 -0500

Just in case folks missed this on the SIP list...this has introduced
confusion and per Keith's note some folks will need to talk to their
legal folks before submitting docs. 

Thanks,
Mary, SIPPING WG co-chair

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
DRAGE, Keith (Keith)
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:47 AM
To: SIP List
Subject: [Sip] Change to IETF RFC and draft rules

Calling all SIP authors and editors:

If you are revising an existing internet draft or using significant text
from an existing RFC (e.g. to provide a bis version) the the rights the
original author granted to IETF for use of that text no longer apply and
new rules are in effect for all submitted text.

Obviously you can make a decision on text you supplied as to whether the
new grant of rights is OK to you or not. However you will need to
contact the authors of any other material and ensure that they have also
agreed to the text being used under the new rights.

It would be appropriate for you to do this now, rather than wait for the
submission deadline to find that you have a problem.

The relevant RFC covering this is RFC 5378 and the appropriate section
is as follows (if you need to consult with your legal people please use
RFC 5378 for the discussion and none of the text of this email):

5.3.  Rights Granted by Contributors to the IETF Trust

   To the extent that a Contribution or any portion thereof is protected
   by copyright or other rights of authorship, the Contributor and each
   named co-Contributor grant a perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive,
   royalty-free, world-wide, sublicensable right and license to the IETF
   Trust under all such copyrights and other rights in the Contribution:

   a. to copy, publish, display, and distribute the Contribution, in
      whole or in part,

   b. to prepare translations of the Contribution into languages other
      than English, in whole or in part, and to copy, publish, display,
      and distribute such translations or portions thereof,

   c. to modify or prepare derivative works (in addition to
      translations) that are based on or incorporate all or part of the
      Contribution, and to copy, publish, display, and distribute such
      derivative works, or portions thereof unless explicitly disallowed
      in the notices contained in a Contribution (in the form specified
      by the Legend Instructions), and

   d. to reproduce any trademarks, service marks, or trade names which
      are included in the Contribution solely in connection with the
      reproduction, distribution, or publication of the Contribution and
      derivative works thereof as permitted by this Section 5.3,
      provided that when reproducing Contributions, trademark and
      service mark identifiers used in the Contribution, including TM
      and (R), will be preserved.

Essentially when you submit an internet draft, you sign up to this, but
you need to ensure that you have the ability to transfer those rights in
the first place, which is where this message comes in.

You may also find it appropriate to read RFC 5377 as well.

Please note that I am not a legal expert, and you may find that if you
have questions of interpretation, you will receive a better (and
quicker) answer on the main IETF discussion list, rather than from the
SIP list or from the SIP WG chairs!

regards

Keith

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol Use
[email-masked] for questions on current sip Use
[email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP