Subject: [Sipping] Addition to update-pai

From: "Elwell, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 17:01:55 +0000

During WGLC on draft-ietf-sipping-update-pai-08, I received a comment
that if a node includes PAI in a request such as UPDATE, together with
Privacy 'id', and sends the request to another node in the Trust Domain,
if that other node does not comply with update-pai it might fail to
handle the Privacy header field correctly. I think this is a matter for
Spec(T). Alternatively, if not covered by Spec(T), care should be taken
not to send PAI in such circumstances. I propose to add the following to
the end of section 4.5:

"When a UAC or a proxy sends a request containing a P-Asserted-Identity
header field to another node in the Trust Domain, if that other node
complies with RFC 3325 but not with this specification, and if the
method is not one for which RFC 3325 specifies use of the
P-Asserted-Identity header field, and if the request also contains a
Privacy header field with value 'id', as specified in RFC 3325, the
other node might not handle the Privacy header field correctly. To
prevent incorrect handling of the Privacy header field with value 'id',
the Spec(T) in force for the Trust Domain SHOULD require all nodes to
comply with this specification. If this is not the case, a UAC or a
proxy SHOULD NOT include a P-Asserted-Identity header field in a request
if the method is not one for which RFC 3325 specifies use of the
P-Asserted-Identity header field and if the request also contains a
Privacy header field with value 'id'."

Today is the last day of WGLC, so if there are no objections to the
above and no further comments, I will post an 09 version with this
change.

John
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP