Subject: [Sipping] Discussion of draft-ietf-sipping-profile-datasets: Thursday 8-9am in Franciscan D

From: "Dale Worley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 13:41:40 -0400

Let's have a discussion to get up to speed on the I-D at 8-9am Thursday
in Franciscan D.

The Franciscan rooms are close to the breakfast in Yosemite foyer, and
breakfast is put out by 7:45 even though it's only officially scheduled
for 8.

The agenda items I have so far are:

--- Should a profile schema include the merge rule?  If so, how are they
specified?

--- Can a single UA load multiple datasets of the same type?  (e.g., to
configure multiple lines on a phone)

--- Supporting range/set values, which involves (1) how do we specify
the allowed value set, and (2) can we do so generically (i.e., providing
a general range/set-of construction to be applied to a datum type to be
specified later)

--- Schema language to specify data ranges, i.e., XML Schema Language
vs. Relax NG.  But note that Relax NG seems to delegate atomic types to
XML Schema Language.

--- Versioning.  Proposal:  Extensions are done by constructing an
extension profile namespace.  Thus, an "extended" data is composed of 2
datasets, the unextended dataset and the extended one.  This makes it
clear what the fallback behaviors/values are, but means that values in
the extension dataset may explicitly modify or override the base
dataset.  Or should we do it differently, by adding elements to a
top-level XML element?

--- Visibility/modifiability attribute

--- Local modifiability (see Hutton review)  This is an additional,
local dataset!  Needs to be handled as such.  Unfortunately, there are
both user and admin components to this dataset.

--- draft-ietf-sipping-media-policy-dataset-07 as an example profile
schema.  Considerable parts of a session-policy aren't part of the
dataset.  I guess that they can be ignored.  But that means that the
schema should note that they are non-normative documentation.

If there are any other important issues, please bring them to the
meeting.

Of course, this discussion will continue on the Sipping mailing list.

See you tomorrow!

Dale