Subject: [Sipping] Comments on ID (SIP extensions for media control )

From: "SHANMUGALINGAM SIVASOTHY" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 18:22:22 +0100

Dear all:

We have updated
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-siva-sip-media-00.txt

Abstract: This draft presents a requirement and proposes a solution to
integration of Session Initiation Protocol (SIP), to the Real Time
Streaming Protocol (RTSP and RTSP v2) [RFC 2326 and IDRTSP] especially
in the context of converged media services or IPTV services. The
document develops a rationale for using SIP with streaming media
applications. One service on top of IPTV service is sketched out, which
required SIP optimally.

All your comments are greatly appreciated.

Best regards
Siva

---

From: "Avasarala Ranjit-A20990" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 01:38:08 +0800

Hi Siva
 
Did u have a look at
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mediactrl-sip-control-fra
mework-10.txt draft? 

Regards 
Ranjit 

________________________________

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of SHANMUGALINGAM SIVASOTHY
Sent: Friday, March 20, 2009 10:52 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sipping] Comments on ID (SIP extensions for media control )

Dear all: 

We have updated 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-siva-sip-media-00.txt
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-siva-sip-media-00.txt>  

Best regards 
Siva

---

From: "Ganesan Sam-W00184" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 11:25:37 -0400

OK... Here we go again...

Sam puts on his complete cynic's hat and is getting ready to go on a
tirade and probably insult about half the community ... So Sam gets on
both knees and begs forgiveness before he even
starts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    

This has been tried before............. in mmusic... Here is a link to
the expired draft.  I was oneof the unfortunates that thought bringing
SIP and RTSP together was a good idea.  Steve Whitehead actually thought
that about a year earlier than me!!!!     

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-whitehead-mmusic-sip-for-streaming-medi
a-05

Why did RTSP get bundled in the sdp there and not sip updates well, when
you do a trick play command you want fast response that is not bound to
a 32 second SIP timeout... or have that hop about 10 record-route
headers to get there!!!!!  RTSP seemed to do the job fine and we just
needed SIP as a rendez-vous protocol to set up sessions and tear them
down....

But I digress... I was not going to discuss anything technical

To the authors .... let me list some reasons... why it is absolutely
in-essential for this to even happen... with tongue firmly in cheek (all
capitalized words follow RFC2119)

1.  RTSP is fine by itself we dont need no stinking sip to set up video
streams...
2.  If you say anything about how there are IMS networks... that may
need this --  Well Sam stands up with a phone in his hand (any phone
does not matter what kind)  --- Show me one IMS(not rfc 2119) deplyed
phone that I can make a real call to!!!
 
My memory fails me on the other ones we got..... 
 
The following are time lines that you will follow...
 
1.  Both 1 and 2 MAY occur about the 5th or 6th IETF meeting... so dont
hold your breath till at the earliet ietf-79 in Atlanta 
2.  You will argue for 79, 80 and 81 and may be even 82
3.  You will be asked for more real use cases around 82
4.  You will go to an interim meeting between 82 and 83 and try this
again..
 
At this point there are differing possibilities
 
1.  You will get tired and cynical and say to hell with it and stuff
what ever you want at the app layer as application/xml in the body and
say it does not break SIp or any other protocol and go on your merry way
2.  You may have changed jobs and this is no longer of any relevance to
you
3.  You will go to ATIS or TISPAN and define you protocol there after
politicking there... with one vote per company that participates!!!

Geez... Have I left anybody out that I have not offended yet???

Anyway...   Good Luck in your endeavours

Sam
(Putting his flame suit on)

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Avasarala Ranjit-A20990
Sent: Friday, March 20, 2009 1:38 PM
To: SHANMUGALINGAM SIVASOTHY; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Sipping] Comments on ID (SIP extensions for media control
)

Hi Siva
 
Did u have a look at

Regards 
Ranjit 

Dear all: 

We have updated 

Best regards 
Siva