Subject: [Sipping] overload control papers

From: Volker Hilt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 18:11:16 -0700

As discussed in SIPPING today, below are pointers to the papers that 
have been published by members of the SIP overload control design team:

- Hilt, V. and I. Widjaja, "Controlling Overload in Networks of SIP 
Servers", IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP'08), 
Orlando, Florida, October 2008.

- Noel, E. and C. Johnson, "Initial Simulation Results That Analyze SIP 
Based VoIP Networks Under Overload", International Teletraffic Congress 
(ITC'07), Ottawa, Canada, June 2007.

- Shen, C., Schulzrinne, H., and E. Nahum, "Session Initiation Protocol 
(SIP) Server Overload Control: Design and Evaluation, Principles", 
Systems and Applications of IP Telecommunications (IPTComm'08), 
Heidelberg, Germany, July 2008.

Thanks,

Volker

---

From: Victor Pascual Ávila <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 11:45:37 +0200

Hi Volker,

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 3:11 AM, Volker Hilt <[email-masked]> wrote:
> As discussed in SIPPING today, below are pointers to the papers that have
> been published by members of the SIP overload control design team:
>
> (SIP) Server Overload Control: Design and Evaluation, Principles", Systems
> and Applications of IP Telecommunications (IPTComm'08), Heidelberg, Germany,
> July 2008.

Thanks for the pointers.

The overload management in NGNs has been previously addressed by the
ETSI TISPAN by defining a generic overload control architecture (ETSI
TR 182 015 “Architecture for Control of Processing Overload in Next
Generation Networks") and it is supposed to cover SIP. Is it defined
how this generic framework will relate to SIP? To my best knowledge,
specific mapping has not yet been defined.

Thanks a lot,
-- 
Victor Pascual Ávila

---

From: Volker Hilt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 23:13:04 -0400

Victor,

there is alignment between these efforts. Members of the GOCAP team are 
participating in the SIP overload control control design team. A mapping 
of GOCAP algorithms to SIP has not been standardized so far.

Thanks,

Volker