Subject: [Sipping] Defining forking to multiple destinations better

From: "Dale Worley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 13:24:26 -0500

I've refreshed my I-D regarding "Request-Disposition: no-cancel,
parallel":

A new version of I-D, draft-worley-sipping-forking-03.txt has been
successfuly submitted by Dale Worley and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:        draft-worley-sipping-forking
Revision:        03
Title:           A New Forking Mechanism for Session Initiation Protocol
(SIP)
Creation_date:   2009-03-03
WG ID:           Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 17

Abstract:
The rules for SIP proxies are organized so that when a UAC sends an
out-of-dialog request, even if the request is forked to a number of
UASs, (usually) only one UAS will accept the request, and only the
final response from that UAS will be returned to the UAC.  This
forking mechanism is optimal for an INVITE intended to connect one
human user with another human uses, but is poor for requests that
have a "one to many" nature, especially PUBLISH and SUBSCRIBE
requests, but also including some INVITEs.  This document proposes an
alternative forking mechanism that better supports "one to many"
requests, and that mechanism be the standardized meaning of the
(existing but weakly specified) "Request-Disposition: no-cancel,
parallel" header.

The IETF Secretariat.