Subject: [Sipping] Errata report on erratum 2310 on RFC 5923 ("Connection Reuse in SIP") and erratum 2502 on RFC 5954 (Essential Correction for IPv6 ABNF and URI Comparison in RFC 3261")

From: "Worley, Dale R (Dale)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 12:19:29 -0500

======================================================================
RFC5923, "Connection Reuse in SIP"
Source of RFC: sip (rai)

Errata ID: 2310

Status: Reported
Type: Technical

Reported By: Alfred Hoenes
Date Reported: 2010-06-24

Section 8.2 says:

[[ in the last paragraph at the bottom of page 13: ]]

   The server, if it decides to reuse the connection, MUST cache in the
   alias table the identity (or identities) of the client as they appear
|  in the X.509 certificate subjectAlternativeName extension field.  [...]
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^

It should say:

   The server, if it decides to reuse the connection, MUST cache in the
   alias table the identity (or identities) of the client as they appear
|  in the X.509 certificate subjectAltName extension field.  [...]
                                   ^^^

Notes:

Rationale:
Mis-spelling of the defined certificate extension name --
see (for example) RFC 5280.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended status: (correct) Hold for document update
Type: Editorial

It appears that both "subjectAltName" and "subjectAlternativeName" are
used, though the former is more common.  Someone who knows the history
may be able to shed some light on this.
======================================================================
RFC5954, "Essential Correction for IPv6 ABNF and URI Comparison in RFC 3261"
Source of RFC: sip (rai)

Errata ID: 2502

Status: Reported
Type: Technical

Reported By: Alfred Hoenes
Date Reported: 2010-08-23

Section 4.2, page 5 says:

   NEW:

   o  For two URIs to be equal, the user, password, host, and port
|     components must match.  If the host component contains a textual
|     representation of IP addresses, then the representation of those
      IP addresses may vary.  If so, the host components are considered
      to match if the different textual representations yield the same
      binary IP address.

It should say:

   NEW:

   o  For two URIs to be equal, the user, password, host, and port
|     components must match.  If both host components contain the textual
|     representation of an IP address, then the representation of those
      IP addresses may vary.  If so, the host components are considered
      to match if the different textual representations yield the same
      binary IP address.

Notes:

Rationale: Essential clarification of potentially misleading grammar
and semantics including singular/plural mismatches. Because of the
perceived significance, this erratum is designated as Technical.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended status: (correct) Hold for document update
Type: Editorial

Certainly the proposed wording is better, though it is not clear how
the original text could be misread in the context of SIP.
======================================================================

Dale