Subject: [siprec] Benoit Claise's No Objection on draft-ietf-siprec-protocol-16: (with COMMENT)

From: "Benoit Claise" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 01:05:04 -0700

Benoit Claise has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-siprec-protocol-16: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-siprec-protocol/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

As mentioned by Scott Bradner in his OPS-DIR review:
I find no additional operational concerns beyond those 
present in running any secure SIP infrastructure.

I do observe that the stage upon which this standards
track ID is dancing on is rather close to the forbidden 
zone as described by RFC 2804. But the stage was 
selected when the working group was formed and it
 is too late to revisit if that was a stage that an IETF 
working group should be dancing on.

---

From: "Hutton, Andrew" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 11:17:11 +0000

This is of course true and was understood from the very start when the working group was chartered which is quite a number of years ago now. At the time the work was started SIP recording deployments were almost exclusively using passive recording (network sniffing) and this was seen as a barrier to deploying secure SIP networks therefore I believe this work has moved the industry forward to a better place.

Regards
Andy (SIPREC Co-Chair).