Subject: [Slim] Formed Selection of Language for Internet Media (slim)

From: Natasha Rooney <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 09:34:37 +0000

Hi all!

Thank-you for subscribing to the SLIM mailing list. I have some news for everyone which hopefully won’t be too much of a surprise!

Charter
The SLIM charter has been approved, so we are now officially an IETF Working Group! Thank-you to everyone who gave input to this. You can read the full charter on datatracker (all links are below).

Chairs
As you should be able to see from the above link we have two chairs, Bernard Aboba and myself, Natasha Rooney. Bernard is a famous IETFer and many of you will know him as a Principle Architect at Microsoft, a previous IAB Chair, a W3C WebRTC draft editor and a contributor to around 60 RFCs. I work for GSMA, a global telecommunications association, as a web and internet technologist working on connecting internet technologies with the mobile network.

As chairs of the working group Bernard and I will work to support the building of our drafts, organising our meetings, managing our mailing lists and making sure we work with the IETF process to turn our drafts into RFCs in a timely manner.

Questions
If you have questions please do ask us. Posting questions to the list is preferred, but you can also email us directly if you need to.

We’re looking forward to working with you all!

Natasha

Links
Datatracker Page
https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/slim/charter/
Mail Archive
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/slim/
IETF94
https://www.ietf.org/meeting/94/
IETF94 Agenda
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/94/agenda.html

Natasha Rooney | Technologist, Web and Internet, W3C & IETF | GSMA | [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> | +44 (0) 7730 219 765 | @thisNatasha | Skype: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Tokyo, Japan

From: The IESG <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Date: October 16, 2015 at 9:53:30 AM PDT
To: "IETF-Announce" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>, The IESG <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Subject: [Slim] WG Action: Formed Selection of Language for Internet Media (slim)

A new IETF working group has been formed in the Applications and
Real-Time Area. For additional information please contact the Area
Directors or the WG Chairs.

Selection of Language for Internet Media (slim)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
 Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
 N Rooney <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>

Assigned Area Director:
 Barry Leiba <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>

Mailing list
 Address: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
 To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/slim
 Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/slim/

Charter:

A mutually comprehensible language is helpful for human communication.
This is true across a range of circumstances and environments.  In
general, the problem is most acute in situations where there is not a
clear choice for a single language, such as environments lacking
contextual or out-of-band information regarding the identity of the
parties and the language to be used.

The group will address two specific cases that most urgently need a
technical solution: One problem space is non-real-time communication,
specifically email for one-to-many or where the set of recipients is
dynamic or different recipients require different languages; the other
is real-time communication, specifically emergency calling, preferably
also useful for other cases where the parties may not know each other
personally or where one party wishes to accommodate people with varying
language and media needs.

In the real-time communication case, language and media are
intrinsically linked, for example, signed languages require a video
media.

While the two use cases are in different contexts (real time and
non-real-time), the fundamental goal is the same: to enable selection of
the best-fit language(s) for a specific situation.  Some of the details
will also be in common across the cases, e.g., the language tags.
Having a single WG address both cases makes it clear that these are two
aspects of the same basic problem.  A single WG also makes it easier to
maximize similarities and avoid unnecessary fragmentation of the
solutions and facilitates broader review.

The group will start by producing specifications for email and for
real-time communications.

In the email case, the group will determine a MIME based solution (based
on draft-tomkinson-slim-multilangcontent) that enables a single email
message to contain multiple language versions of the content, with
provisions to help clients select a best-fit version.

In the real-time communication case, the group will produce a
specification (based on draft-gellens-slim-negotiating-human-language)
enabling negotiation of a human language per media stream.  The
specification must be suitable for use in emergency communications as
specified in RFC 6443 and RFC 6881 (which use SIP and SDP to negotiate
media); it is desirable to also be suitable for use in non-emergency
real-time communications that share the same call set-up and media
negotiation protocols.  The mechanism will permit the caller's media and
language needs and preferences to be matched against what the called
party is able to provide.  Alternatives such as doing the media
negotiation in SIP have been explored in the past and are out of scope
(although SIP-based mechanisms may be introduced when routing
considerations are addressed).

The group's initial focus will not be on supporting language-based call
routing decisions.  Once the initial work is sufficiently progressed, the
group may  address call routing, with the timing at the judgment of the
chairs.

Recognizing that complex solutions are significantly less
likely to see widespread deployment, the group will solve the most
common use cases and avoid adding complexity to solve edge or
less-common cases.

By adding language to the existing media negotiation mechanism as used
in RFC 6443 and RFC 6881, the group can meet the basic use cases with
minimal added complexity and be able to enhance later for additional use
cases as needed.

Milestones:
 Nov 2015 - Submit "Multiple Language Content Type" to the IESG (based
on draft-tomkinson-slim-multilangcontent)
 Mar 2016 - Submit "Negotiating Human Language in Real-Time
Communications" to the IESG (based on
draft-gellens-slim-negotiating-human-language)

_______________________________________________
SLIM mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/slim

This email and its attachments are intended for the above named only and may be confidential. If they have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone; please reply to this email or call +44 207 356 0600 and highlight the error.