Subject: [Slim] [slim] #19 (multilangcontent): Use Media Type registration template

From: "slim issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 10:48:14 -0000

#19: Use Media Type registration template

 In Section 11: you need to use the official Media Type registration
 template from RFC 6838.

 Originally highlighted by Alexey.

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |      Owner:  draft-ietf-slim-
  [email-masked]        |  [email-masked]
     Type:  enhancement              |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major                    |  Milestone:
Component:  multilangcontent         |    Version:
 Severity:  In WG Last Call          |   Keywords:
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/slim/trac/ticket/19>
slim <https://tools.ietf.org/slim/>

---

From: "slim issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 22:20:31 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * owner:  [email-masked] =>
     [email-masked]
 * status:  new => assigned

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |       Owner:
  [email-masked]        |  [email-masked]
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  assigned
 Priority:  major                    |   Milestone:
Component:  multilangcontent         |     Version:
 Severity:  In WG Last Call          |  Resolution:
 Keywords:                           |
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/slim/trac/ticket/19#comment:1>
slim <https://tools.ietf.org/slim/>

---

From: "slim issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 22:21:28 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 I am currently discussing the correct wording/structure for the
 registration template with Alexey.

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/slim/trac/ticket/19#comment:2>
slim <https://tools.ietf.org/slim/>

---

From: "slim issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 20:49:56 -0000

Hi All,

 I am working on this template but I need some advice from anyone who knows
 this sort of this thing well and has experience in this area.

 My initial suggestion would be:

      Media Type name: multipart

      Media subtype name: multilingual

      Required parameters: boundary (defined in RFC2046)

      Optional parameters: N/A

      Encoding considerations: ?

      Security considerations: See the Security Considerations section in
 this document

      Interoperability considerations:
          Existing systems that do not treat unknown multipart subtypes
          as multipart/mixed may not correctly render a
          multipart/multilingual type.

      Published specification: This document

      Applications that use this media type:
          Mail Transfer Agents, Mail User Agents, spam detection,
          virus detection modules and message authentication modules.

      Additional information:

          Deprecated alias names for this type: N/A
          Magic number(s): N/A
          File extension(s): N/A
          Macintosh file type code(s): N/A

      Person & email address to contact for further information:
          Nik Tomkinson
          [email-masked]

          Nathaniel Borenstein
          [email-masked]

      Intended usage: Common

 But I am not sure about the encoding considerations because the IANA
 'Application for a Media Type' form at http://www.iana.org/form/media-
 types includes these options:
  - 7-bit text
  - 8-bit text (this media type may require encoding on transports not
 capable of handling 8-bit text)
  - binary (this media type may require encoding on transports not capable
 of handling binary)

 but it also refers to RFC 6838 §4.8
 which lists:
  - 7bit:  The content of the media type consists solely of CRLF-delimited
 7bit US-ASCII text.
  - 8bit:  The content of the media type consists solely of CRLF-delimited
 8bit text.
  - binary:  The content consists of an unrestricted sequence of octets.

 I have seen from examples of other registered MIME types that the wording
 is not always the same as above but, given that there is a registration
 form with strict definitions, I am at a bit of a loss which I should
 specify.

 Can anyone offer a suggestion?

 Thanks in advance,

 Nik.

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/slim/trac/ticket/19#comment:3>
slim <https://tools.ietf.org/slim/>