Subject: Re: email oid

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 20:39:10 -0500

It is my understanding that the PKCS#9 OID is widely used in S/MIME v2
implementations.

Russ

At 08:18 AM 10/29/98 -0500, Robert Klerer wrote:
>The other day in trying to accommodate a legacy pki, I ran into a problem
>with an oid specified in draft-ietf-pkix-ipki-part1-11.  The ASN.1 specifies
>that the oid used for an email address in the distinguished name is
>1.2.840.113549.1.9.1, which refers to a RSA-pkcs-9 email address.  I and
>others have been using 0.9.2342.19200300.100.1.3 which is for internet mail
>as specified in RFC1274.
>
>Since I believe that the intention is for both of these oids are meant to
>represent attributes that hold the same information, this discrepancy may
>cause confusion and failures in the future.  My suggestion would be to
>change part1 to refer to the more commonly used OID.
>
>
>
>