Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-x942-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 09:32:10 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Diffie-Hellman Key Agreement Method
	Author(s)	: E. Rescorla
	Filename	: draft-ietf-smime-x942-01.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 28-Oct-98
	
   This document standardizes one particular Diffie-Hellman variant,
   based on the ANSI X9.42 standard, developed by the ANSI X9F1 working
   group. An algorithm for converting the shared secret into an arbi-
   trary amount of keying material is provided.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-smime-x942-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-x942-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-x942-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Dr Stephen Henson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 17:11:25 +0000

Thanks to Eric for the excellent spec.

Just one brief point. 

This spec suggests that the ephemeral key may be the same for several
messages and that under such circumstances a separate pubInfo MUST be
used with each message (2.3). pubInfo coming from ukm in CMS.

However in the CMS the two ES examples given (12.3.1.1 [err there are
two section 12.3.1.1's: typo?]) state that ukm must be absent.

Personally I'd prefer it if ukm was allowed with CMS rather than banning
it from X942.

Steve.
-- 
Dr Stephen N. Henson. UK based freelance Cryptographic Consultant. 
For info see homepage at http://www.drh-consultancy.demon.co.uk/
Email: [email-masked]
PGP key: via homepage.

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 21:50:18 -0500

The section numbering (cut-and-paste error) is fixed.

I will permit the ukm to be present.  I changed the text to say:

"ukm may be absent.  The ukm is used to ensure that a different key-encryption
key is generated if the ephemeral private key might be used for more than
once."

Russ