Subject: X942-03 Comments

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 13:09:56 -0500

Just dropping in with a few mechanical comments:

The title page header still refers to revision #2.

In the Abstract, "Diffie-Hellam" should be "Diffie-Hellman".

Section 1.2: RFC 2119 is referenced but it doesn't appear in
the list of referenced documents.

Section 2.1.1, last paragraph: "In CMS" should be "In [CMS]".

It's good to see all of this work progressing along nicely!

Scott Hollenbeck (mailto:[email-masked])
Network Solutions, Inc.

---

From: Dr Stephen Henson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 18:46:28 +0000

One minor comment: 2.1.7 says "no pubInfo is used" but the hexdump says
that some is used.

Steve.
-- 
Dr Stephen N. Henson. UK based freelance Cryptographic Consultant. 
For info see homepage at http://www.drh-consultancy.demon.co.uk/
Email: [email-masked]
PGP key: via homepage.

---

From: EKR <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Nov 1998 11:26:53 -0800

> It's good to see all of this work progressing along nicely!
Thanks. I've made the editorial changes. 

-Ekr

-- 
[Eric Rescorla                                   [email-masked]]

---

From: Al Arsenault <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 08:01:25 -0500

One minor nit on <draft-ieft-smime-x942-03>:  Section 2.1.2, you don't
fully explain how "counter" works.  You note that it has an initial value
of 1, but don't indicate whether it should be incremented based on number
of bytes, number of keys generated, etc.

			Al Arsenault

-- these are my opinions only. They do not necessarily reflect the 
opinions of my employer, or of any other organization with which I have a 
relationship.

---

From: EKR <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Nov 1998 08:03:36 -0800

> of bytes, number of keys generated, etc.
Fair enough. 
How's the following language?

counter is a 32 bit number, represented in network byte order. Its
  initial value is 1 for any ZZ, i.e. the byte sequence 00 00 00 01 (hex),
  and it is incremented by one every time the above key generation
  function is run with a given ZZ.

-Ekr

---

From: Al Arsenault <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 11:00:22 -0500

>  function is run with a given ZZ.

Fine.  This indicates both when & by how much you increment, and when you
reset to the initial value.

				Al Arsenault