Subject: Comment on draft-ietf-cert-05.txt

From: Al Arsenault <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 14:11:22 -0500

Once again, reviewing documents for the first time in a while; apologies if
this is OBE, but:

	The CERT draft, section 2.2, first sentence, says "Receiving agents MUST
support PKIX V1 and PKIX v3 certificates..."

There are no PKIX v1 certificates.  (This looks like an artifact of a
global replacement X.509 -> PKIX.)  Recommend that this be changed to
"Receiving agents MUST support PKIX certificates..."  unless there is some
other type of certificates that you want to support (say, for backward
compatibility with S/MIMEv2).  If there is such a type of certificates,
please identify it.

					Al Arsenault

-- these are my opinions only. They do not necessarily reflect the 
opinions of my employer, or of any other organization with which I have a 
relationship.

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 14:10:20 -0800

>compatibility with S/MIMEv2).  If there is such a type of certificates,

I agree. I think we should just say "...support PKIX certificates." This is
particularly hairy because PKIX version 2 certificates have a "1" in their
version field and so on.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium