Subject: RE: Comments on MSG spec

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 13:13:18 -0500

Blake:

>>         3.  Section 2.6, first sentence:  Is the reference to 
>> [DES] dangling? 
>> It would seem that one reference to tripleDES would be sufficient.
>
>Not dangling -- [DES] tells you how to implement DES, [3DES] tells you how
>to implement triple-DES, but not DES.
>
>By the way, I think that the 3DES reference sucks (a 1979 IEEE Spectrum
>article?).  Any suggestions?

Here are the best reference I can find:

3DES       American National Standards Institute.  ANSI X9.52-1998,
           Triple Data Encryption Algorithm Modes of Operation. 1998.

DES        American National Standards Institute.  ANSI X3.106, 
           "American National Standard for Information Systems - Data
           Link Encryption".  1983.

Russ