Subject: Re: Extensibility discussion

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 10:08:19 (NZDT)

Russ Housley <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Support for PGP requires a bit more than this.  You also need to carry
>non-X.509 PGP certificates.  CMS does not permit this.  

The need to lug armfuls of certs around with you wherever you go is an 
artifact of X.509, not something required by PGP.  All that PGP (and
SPKI) require is a way to identify the key used to sign or encrypt data
(the PGP native format doesn't even provide a way to communicate certs
a la CMS's CertificateSet, so it's really not an issue).

(To put it another way, given support for PGP and SPKI key ID's in the
 xxxInfo's, I can have a fully compatible implementation running in an 
 afternoon).

Peter.

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 17:07:35 -0500

Peter:

As noted in a posting after the face-to-face WG eeting, ths CMS ASN.1 was
changed to accompdate signatures with SKI references.  However, the issuer
and serial number will be required for S/MIME v3 (see MSG spec).

I think this issue is closed.  Agree?

Russ