Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-certdist-02.txt

From: Francois Rousseau <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 10:35:00 -0500

Jim,

I am not sure if you have any plan to change this for version 3 of CERTDIST
or if it was discussed in Orlando, but I just thought that the syntax for
the SMimeEncryptionCerts attribute in Section 3 should be more flexible and
not necessarily be bound for ever to SHA1. I however agree that SHA-1
should be the default digest algorithm at this point. Instead I suggest
that it could read as follows:

       SMimeEncryptionCerts ::= SEQUENCE OF SMimeEncryptionCert

       SMimeEncryptionCert ::= SEQUENCE {
            certHash         CertHash,
            capabilities     SMIMECapabilities
       }

       CertHash ::= SEQUENCE {
            digestAlgorithm  DigestAlgorithmIdentifier,
            digest           Digest
       }

       DigestAlgorithmIdentifier ::= AlgorithmIdentifier

       Digest ::= OCTET STRING -- hash of the entire certificate

Francois Rousseau
AEPOS Technologies