Subject: RE: Comments on CMC-09, Section 12.3.1.1

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 23:38:26 (NZDT)

Russ Housley <[email-masked]> writes:
 
>People who want to use E-S D-H with other algorithms are free to assign 
>additional algorithm identifiers for use in the KeyWrapAlgorithm.  In fact, 
>these additional algorithms need not follow the technque specified in CMS 
>Secion 12.6.  These additional assignments will not represent "must" 
>implement or "should" implement algorithms.
 
Would it be possible to insert text to this effect either in section 6.2.3 or 
12.6?  At the moment 12.6 seems to imply that you can only use the given wrap 
algorithm, however in some cases it's useful to be able to support other key 
wrap techniques, especially when implemented via crypto hardware over which 
you have no control.
 
Peter.

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 13:32:43 -0500

Peter:

Already done.  It will be in CMS-10.

Russ