Subject: Signing Certificate Attribute Definition

From: Peter Sylvester <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 18:26:40 +0100

hello,

somewhere I read that Denis Pinkas had proposed to move the 
Signing Certificate Attribute description from ess to cms. 

I wonder whether the whole chapter 5 should go there. 

In particular chapter 5 is not introduced in the introduction:

  This document describes three optional security service extensions for
  S/MIME. These services provide functionality that is similar to the Message
  Security Protocol [MSP4], but are useful in many other environments,
  particularly business and finance. The services are:
   - signed receipts
   - security labels
   - secure mailing lists

Or, at least, there should be one phrase about chapter 5 in the introduction
such that a reader who continues and reads

  This document describes both the procedures and the attributes needed for
  the three services. Note that some of the attributes described in this
  document are quite useful in other contexts and should be considered when
  extending S/MIME or other CMS applications.

would really read the document.

Peter Sylvester

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 09:36:24 -0800

>In particular chapter 5 is not introduced in the introduction:

Whoops, my mistake. I'll add that.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium