Subject: Comments on ESS-10

From: "Jim Schaad (Exchange)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 19:39:32 -0800

Paul,

These comments are in addition to the changes to ESS Section 5 for the
addition of the SKI as a certificate identifier on CMS I previously sent
you.

0.  Section 1.  We have not yet seen the new introduction paragraphs which
include section 5.  I would like to do so before the document goes to the
RFC editor.

1.  Section 1.3 - the macValue attribute has been removed from CMS and needs
to be removed from CMS

2.  Section 1.4 - Minor word changes in paragraph 2.  "The main disadvantage
is that the gateway must check for the presence of certain attributes in the
other signerInfos and either omit or copy those attributes."

3.  Section 2.2 - bullet item 4:  I have some \240 characters in the text
here which I assume are suppose to be spaces.  Many of these are found
through out the entire document.  I have had to edit them out to get the ASN
module to compile.

4.  Section 2.8 - ASN for Receipt still references Version not CMSVersion

5. Section 4.4 -  The ASN for MLData has a comment on EntityIdentifier has a
note about being imported from CMS, but its not.  Please remove the comment
in the text and in the ASN module

Jim

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 13:22:04 -0800

>4.  Section 2.8 - ASN for Receipt still references Version not CMSVersion

Many thanks to Russ for switching this out from under me. :-) I do *not*
think we should import CMSVersion from CMS, because the version number we
are using here has nothing to do with CMS, and the name will be confusing.
Instead, I think I should define it as:

Version ::= INTEGER  { v1(1) }

Comments?

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 11:29:49 -0500

Paul,

There is quite a bit of overlap with Jim's comments and mine.  Thus, I
agree with almost everything he said.

>4.  Section 2.8 - ASN for Receipt still references Version not CMSVersion

I suggest that you define ESSVersion instead of importing CMSVersion.

>in the text and in the ASN module

Russ

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 10:39:03 -0500

>Version ::= INTEGER  { v1(1) }

This change to CMS was made to avoid conflicts with the PKIX Part 1
definition of Version.

I agree that you should not import CMSVersion.  However, you should also
avoid the conflict with the PKIX Part 1 definition of Version.

I suggest that you use:

	ESSVersion ::= INTEGER  { v1(1) }

Russ