Subject: Document-centric Digital Signatures

From: WHenry <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 15:32:38 -0500

All:

 Several months ago I started a discussion thread on ietf-pkix about the
viability of embedding digital signatures within electronic documents (e.g.
Word, Excel, etc).

 Some of the responses I received ranged from "use CMS!" to "it would be
difficult to get application vendors on-board." There seemed to be some
interest in establishing a BOF at the next IETF mtg to discuss this.

 In the absence of a BOF, I've set up a listserv for discussing this issue
at http://www.onelist.com. You can subscribe to Disig-arch under Computers -
Security or use the following URL
http://www.onelist.com/viewarchive.cgi?listname=digsig-arch

 Subscribers post to the list using the following address:
[email-masked]

 "Digsig-arch" is an unmoderated list intended to provide a forum for the
discussion of issues related to the archiving of digitally signed electronic
documents. The list focuses on public key infrastructure (PKI) associated
digital signature issues vice biometric or electronic signature issues.

 Apologies for not providing an email subscribe/unsubscribe capability.
However, the service is free and very easy to maintain (which we like!).
Onelist will maintain a discussion archive at the site for those interested
in reviewing previous postings.

 I've taken the liberty of posting my (and others) previous ietf-pkix
postings regarding this issue in the archive (from May '98 timeframe).

 Regards,
 Bill Henry
 Performance Engineering Corporation
 Fairfax, VA