Subject: READ First ***! S/MIME minutes -CMS

From: Denis Pinkas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 15:27:41 +0200

I just realized that I took the wrong file so half of my comments
are inappropriate.

The minutes are not correct, but the new CMS 12 document does
incorporate some changes.

So, please, Russ accept my apologies.

Here is the text.

5.6  Message Signature Verification Process

   The input to the signature verification process includes the
result
   of the message digest calculation process and the signer's
public
   key.  The recipient may obtain the correct public key for the
signer
   by any means, but the preferred method is from a certificate
obtained
   from the SignedData certificates field.  The selection and
validation
   of the signer's public key may be based on certification path
   validation (see [PROFILE]) as well as other external context,
but is
   beyond the scope of this document.  The details of the
signature
   verification depend on the signature algorithm employed.

Regards,

Denis