Subject: WG Last Call Extended: draft-ietf-smime-rcek-02.txt

From: "Housley, Russ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 09:49:15 -0400

Steve Farrell has updated the RCEK document to address the comments raised 
during WG Last Call.  To give everyone a chance to review the updates, I am 
extending the WG Last Call until 7 May 2001.  Please post any remaining 
issues to the S/MIME WG mail list.

	Title		: Reuse of CMS Content Encryption Keys
	Author(s)	: S. Farrell, S. Turner
	Filename	: draft-ietf-smime-rcek-02.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 30-Apr-01

Russ

---

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 17:51:40 -0700

I have the following comments:

1.  Section 4, para 6:  The following paragraph does not make complete sense
to me.

   keyAlg is the algorithm identifier (and associated parameters, if
   any), for the MSG2 key encryption algorithm. Note that it is not
   necessary to protect this field MSG.KEK is only used by the
   originator.

   I think what this is suppose to imply is that if the field is modified it
is a denial of service attack but nothing more (i.e. the originator and
receiver will use different algorithms to derive the KEK from the CEK and
the decrypt will fail).  If the field is only used by the originator, why
send it at all.

2.  Appendix A:  PBKDF2-params needs to have the comma removed following the
last field.

jim

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Housley, Russ
> Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2001 6:49 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: WG Last Call Extended: draft-ietf-smime-rcek-02.txt
>
>