Subject: RE: Password, compresion and symmetric keys -- are they CMS or S/ MIME ?

From: "Blake Ramsdell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 09:43:26 -0700

OK, teeth boy, you made me actually think.

draft-ietf-smime-password-04:

The title in the announcement message was "Password-based Encryption for
S/MIME", which is indeed corrected in the actual document.

Section 1, the sentence:

"This document describes a password-based content encryption mechanism
for S/MIME."

S/MIME should be CMS.

draft-ietf-smime-compression-05:

The title in the announcement message was "Compressed Data Content Type for
S/MIME", which is indeed corrected in the actual document.

Section 1, the sentence:

"This document describes a compressed data content type for S/MIME."

S/MIME should be CMS.

In the case of symkeydist, I still don't know if that was intended for
general CMS or S/MIME, so I will defer to the author of that document for
guidance, but there are indeed references to S/MIME.

Blake

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
To: Blake Ramsdell
Cc: [email-masked]
Sent: 7/20/2001 6:58 PM
Subject: Re: Password, compresion and symmetric keys -- are they CMS or
S/MIME ?

"Blake Ramsdell" <[email-masked]> writes:

>All three of these recent drafts (password, compression and symkeydist)
say
>S/MIME.

Only the draft names because they're from the S/MIME WG.

>Should any or all of these say CMS instead?

The titles say CMS (eg "Password-based Encryption for CMS").

>No, I haven't read 'em to figure it out for myself.  Go ahead and chew
me up.

<chew></chew>

Peter.

---

From: "Sean P. Turner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 09:56:58 -0400

Blake,

I put S/MIME in the title only because it was produced in the S/MIME WG.
S/MIME is referred to in the symmetric key distribution ID in:

The headers: It's part of the document's title
The abstract: Where is says this mechanisms may be used to support MLAs
The introduction: As a lead in to a brief description of the differences
between symmetric and asymmetric cryptography
Paragraph 3.2.1 twice: Both as pointers to other document from the S/MIME WG
Paragraph 9: Copies names of documents for the references.

I'm not sure which of these you think should change.

Cheers,

spt

Blake Ramsdell wrote:

> snip....