Subject: Re: Comments to draft-ietf-smime-rfc2630bis-01

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 04:39:19 +1200 (NZST)

Here's a summary of the situation, hope I got all these right:

Baltimore (old, SMT): Rejects message if version != 0
Baltimote (new, KeyTools): Won't process the message unless it understands the
  version (does this mean it requires version = 0...2?)
cryptlib (older versions): Rejects message if unknown version encountered (value >2)
cryptlib (newer versions): Ignores version
Microsoft: Ignores version
OpenSSL: Ignores version
RSA: Rejects message if version != 0
SFL: Ignores version (except for use in reporting errors)
Tumbleweed: Rejects message if version != 0

So it looks like there's about a 50/50 split between implementations which
require the version to be 0 (or in some cases 0...2) and ones which ignore it
entirely.

Peter.

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Relyea)
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 10:16:12 -0700

>require the version to be 0 (or in some cases 0...2) and ones which ignore it
Netscape NSS, at least the current version: Ignores version on decode.

bob