Subject: Key Wrap Algorithms

From: "Housley, Russ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 12:50:56 -0400

All:

After a fairly long debate, the consensus on key management has been 
reached.  We seem to agree that:

    Implementations MUST support key transport, key agreement, and previously
    distributed symmetric key-encryption keys, as represented by ktri, 
kari, and
    kekri, respectively.  Implementations MAY support the password-based key
    management as represented by pwri.  Implementations MAY support any other
    key management technique as represented by ori.

At the last IETF meeting, we agreed on the mandatory to implement 
algorithms.  The Minutes say:

    Signature: DSA and RSA (PKCS #1 v1.5) as per Russ' proposal
    Message digest: SHA-1
    Key Management: RSA (PKCS #1 v1.5)
    Encryption: Triple-DES

But, the Minutes are silent about key wrapping.

It is my view that we should require implementations to support Triple-DES 
Key Wrap.  This view is reflected in draft-ietf-smime-cmsalg-00. And, I 
think that this approach will facilitate the adoption of mail lists.

I want to hear from others.  What do you think is the best MUST and SHOULD 
statements regarding key wrap algorithms?

Russ

---

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 12:31:26 -0700

Russ,

I agree this needs to be a MUST for the cms-alg draft.  I think this is a
SHOULD for the S/MIME message draft if it decides to be different from the
cms-alg draft.

jim

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Housley, Russ
> Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2001 9:51 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Key Wrap Algorithms
>
>
>
> All:
>