Subject: RE: Comments: draft-ietf-smime-rfc2630bis-00

From: "Pawling, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 16:41:26 -0400

Russ,

I would prefer to see Section 6.3, paragraph 1, as follows:
 
    The content-encryption key for the desired content-encryption
    algorithm is randomly generated.  The data to be protected 
    is padded as described below, then the padded data is encrypted
    using the content-encryption key.  The encryption operation maps an
    arbitrary string of octets (the data) to another string of octets
    (the ciphertext) under control of a content-encryption key.  The
    encrypted data is included in the envelopedData encryptedContentInfo
    encryptedContent OCTET STRING.

===========================================
John Pawling, [email-masked]
Getronics Government Solutions, LLC
===========================================

---

From: "Housley, Russ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 16:58:11 -0400

>     encryptedContent OCTET STRING.

Done.

I recall the addition of the sentence we just removed.  It was added to 
avoid confusion about which octets are encrypted.  I guess that the 
sentence did not add clarity.

Russ