Subject: RE: cmsalg-00 Comments

From: "Pawling, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:56:29 -0400

Russ,

Thank you for your responses to my comments.  I agree with all of your
responses except that I have the following comments:

1) Section 4.1, 2nd para: Please change the following to be consistent with
Table 1:

OLD: "CMS implementations MUST include Triple-DES wrapping of Triple-DES
content-encryption keys and RC2 wrapping of RC2 content-encryption keys."

NEW: "CMS implementations MUST include Triple-DES wrapping of Triple-DES
content-encryption keys and SHOULD include RC2 wrapping of RC2
content-encryption keys."

2) Recommend the following change in your recommended text for section 4.4
as follows:

OLD: Key derivation algorithms identifiers are...

NEW: Key derivation algorithm identifiers are...

3) Recommend the following change in your recommended text for section 4.4
as follows:

OLD: The content-encryption keys encrypted with password-derived
key-encryption keys are located in the EnvelopedData RecipientInfos
PasswordRecipientInfo encryptedKey field.  The message-authentication keys
encrypted with password-derived key-encryption keys are located in the
AuthenticatedData RecipientInfos PasswordRecipientInfo encryptedKey field.

NEW: The content-encryption key encrypted with the password-derived
key-encryption key is located in the EnvelopedData RecipientInfos
PasswordRecipientInfo encryptedKey field.  The message-authentication key
encrypted with the password-derived key-encryption key is located in the
AuthenticatedData RecipientInfos PasswordRecipientInfo encryptedKey field.

===========================================
John Pawling, [email-masked]
Getronics Government Solutions, LLC
===========================================

---

From: "Housley, Russ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 13:33:57 -0400

>content-encryption keys."

Agree.  Done.

>NEW: Key derivation algorithm identifiers are...

Agree.  Done.

>AuthenticatedData RecipientInfos PasswordRecipientInfo encryptedKey field.

I was trying to be parallel.  The plural is used in other places.  See, for 
example, section 4.2.

Russ