Subject: The ECC Document and the IESG

From: "Housley, Russ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 11:58:40 -0500

Dear S/MIME WG:

During discussions last week at the IETF meeting, there were hallway 
discussions about whether the ECC algorithms document can be implemented 
without infringing on patents (or yet-to-be-issued patents).  During these 
hallway discussions, it became clear to me that the known patent holders 
are unable to make a statement that either confirms or denies the ability 
to create unencumbered ECC implementations.

As a result of this situation, I suggested that the ECC algorithms document 
be published as an Informational RFC.

The IESG met yesterday, and they discussed the ECC algorithms 
document.  Jeff Schiller explained the situation, and he explained desire 
for publication as an Informational RFC.  However, in my original request 
to the IESG, I had asked for publication as a Standards Track 
document.  This contradiction raised the question, "Does the WG know?"

I am sending this note to make sure that all concerned are aware of the 
situation.  This is also the time for anyone that thinks the ECC algorithms 
document should be published on the Standards Track to speak up.  If I do 
not hear objections by 2 January 2002, I will assume that publication of 
the ECC algorithms document as an Informational RFC is acceptable.

Russ

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Dec 2001 09:56:23 -0800

> the ECC algorithms document as an Informational RFC is acceptable.
I sgree with going to Informational.

-Ekr

-- 
[Eric Rescorla                                   [email-masked]]
                http://www.rtfm.com/