Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-rfc2632bis-00.txt

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 12:27:22 -0600

1.  I strongly disagree that md2-with-RSA is a MUST.  I think this
should be a MAY or omitted.

2.  English:  "no Internet mail addresses in a certificate match the
sender of a message"  change match to matches.

3.  TBD - PKCS #v1.5 warning - yes the problem needs to be mentioned and
a reference to the informational document given.

Jim

---

From: "Sean P. Turner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 13:47:08 +1200

Some minor comments:

Para 1.1 - Attribute Certificate - I don't want to open a can of worms
but should we point to the PKIX AC profile instead of X.509?  Also
please add period to last sentence.

Para 2.1 and 4,1 - I'm confused by the sentence "All agents MUST perform
revocation status checking in accordance with [KEYM]."  I thought
PKIX didn't mandate any particular revocation status checking scheme like
CRLs, OCSP, SCVP, etc..  Are you trying to say if you use CRLs as
the revocation status check scheme then you have to use the process in
PKIX?

Cheers,

spt

[email-masked] wrote:

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line
Internet-Drafts directories.

This draft is a work item of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group
of the IETF.

Title
: S/MIME Version 3.1 Certificate Handling

Author(s)
: B. Ramsdell

Filename
: draft-ietf-smime-rfc2632bis-00.txt

Pages
:

Date
: 11-Feb-02

S/MIME (Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions), described in

[SMIME-MSG], provides a method to send and receive secure MIME

messages. Before using a public key to provide security services, the

S/MIME agent MUST certify that the public key is valid. S/MIME agents

MUST use PKIX certificates to validate public keys as described in
the

Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure (PKIX) Certificate and CRL

Profile [KEYM]. S/MIME agents MUST meet the certificate processing

requirements documented in this document in addition to those stated

in [KEYM].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-rfc2632bis-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to

ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the
message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username

"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,

type "cd internet-drafts" and then

"get draft-ietf-smime-rfc2632bis-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in

http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html

or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:

[email-masked].

In the body type:

"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-rfc2632bis-00.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document
in

MIME-encoded form by using
the "mpack" utility.  To use this

feature, insert the command
"ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"

command.  To decode
the response(s), you will need "munpack" or

a MIME-compliant mail reader.
Different MIME-compliant mail readers

exhibit different behavior,
especially when dealing with

"multipart" MIME messages
(i.e. documents which have been split

up into multiple messages),
so check your local documentation on

how to manipulate these
messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader

implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the

Internet-Draft.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Content-Type: text/plain

Content-ID:     <[email-masked]>