Subject: Building SMIME and PKCS#7 objects

From: "Pradeep, PK" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 12:42:51 +0530

Hi Group,

We need to build and extract SMIME messages and PKCS#7 objects.

We are exploring the possibility of building the same from the first
principles using JAVA, using the core APIs provided by JAVA SDK1.4
(latest) and J2EE.

My first question is: Is it technically possible to accomplish the same?

Let me just think aloud about how SMIME message can be created from the
first principles and kindly let me know your comments if I am right or
wrong:

SMIME message is nothing but a text message with all the binary data
base64 transfer encoded..

The text message can be easily created by formulating the text in the
format suggested by S/MIME specification.

PKCS#7 object also nothing but a text message with binary content base64
transfer encoded. certain portion of the PKCS#7 object is encrypted.

I would highly appreciate if I can get examples of SMIME message and
PKCS#7 object which somebody would have made..these examples can help us
to make and authenticate whether our understanding of how these massages
can be built is correct or not.

Thank you,

Warm Regards,

Pradeep

---

From: "Housley, Russ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 09:11:41 -0400

Pradeep:

Please see 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-examples-07.txt.

Russ