Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-rfc2633bis-01.txt

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 20:49:28 +1200 (NZST)

"Blake Ramsdell" <[email-masked]> writes:

>I didn't see much uptake on this besides Russ saying "MAY", and I'm worried
>about compatibility.  I will put a slide in my presentation about this for
>Yokohama.

AFAIK the major use at the moment is in EDI environments (large, highly-
compressible messages, and everything is "by prior arrangement" anyway). There
are a couple of apps which support it out there though, so having it mentioned
would be nice just to let implementers know it's there.

Peter.

---

From: "Tony Capel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 10:23:30 -0400

Peter,

many of us like your compression addition and would like it widely (if
not ubiquitously!) implemented.

One perceived barrier to the adoption of s/mime is the expansion of
message size due to the repeated application of transfer (base64)
encoding at each wrap.  Messaging system operators become alarmed when
told message sizes may more than double as a result.  (Indeed the NIST
draft profile depreciates such coding of inner wraps to address this
issue.)

The ability to offer compression also addresses overall message
expansion and will be an important capability to offer in compensation
when "marketing" the adoption of s/mime by large organizations.

Tony Capel

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Peter Gutmann
Sent: July 9, 2002 4:49 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-rfc2633bis-01.txt

AFAIK the major use at the moment is in EDI environments (large, highly-
compressible messages, and everything is "by prior arrangement" anyway).
There
are a couple of apps which support it out there though, so having it
mentioned
would be nice just to let implementers know it's there.

Peter.