Subject: Receipt Request Processing Questions

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 12:49:59 -0700

The following do not appear to be well address in the present ESS
document.  

1.  For the message S1(S2(M)) - If S2 validates and contains a receipt
request but S1 fails to validate.  Should the receipt be generated?

2.  For the message S1(S2(M)) - If S2 validates and contains a receipt
request, S1 contains an MLExpansionHistory attribute, but cannot be
validate due to either a) missing certificate or b) unknown signing
algorithm.  Should a) the receipt be generated and b) the
MLExpansionHistory attribute be obeyed?

3.  The following is a "new" case  S1(E1(?)) - S1 contains a receipt
request, E1 cannot be decrypted due to the lack of a lock box for the
receipient.  Should a receipt be generated?

Jim

---

From: "Sean P. Turner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:49:01 -0400

Jim,

Thoughts in line.

 >request but S1 fails to validate.  Should the receipt be generated?
Yes I think it should.  The layer with the signed content identifier and
the receipt request is verifiable so one should be returned.

 >MLExpansionHistory attribute be obeyed?
For a - yes
For b - no

 >receipient.  Should a receipt be generated?
Yes I think it should.  It's only telling the originator that the
message was received not that they could open it.  If the recipient
can't open it they should send a message indicating as much.