Subject: MLA Expansion History processing questions

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 14:29:14 -0700

Consider the following message  S1(S2(M)).  

1. S1 contains a two different SignerInfos.  SignerInfo #1 cannot be
validated and contains an MLA Expansion history element.  SignerInfo #2
can be validated.  Does the MLA stop processing of the message?  This is
the case if there were two different MLA Expansion history elements, but
this case is not explicity addressed.

2.  S1 validates and contains an MLA Expansion history element.  S2
fails validation.  Since the MLA could in theory just evaluate S1 and
not look at S2, is it considered to be illeagle behavior (i.e. MUST stop
processing) to pass on this message?

Jim

---

From: "Sean P. Turner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 15:35:47 -0400

Jim,

Comments in line.

>this case is not explicity addressed.
Hmm ... yes.

>processing) to pass on this message?
I thought it had to check for attributes especially ESSSecurityLabel 
prior to passing it on.  I think it ought to fail.  S2 could be just be 
gobledegook and you don't want to pass that on.