Subject: Re: Status of RFC3183: Domain Security Services using S/MIME

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 10:26:09 -0500

If there is sufficient experience from deployments such as yours, then I 
would not be opposed to expending the charter of the S/MIME WG to progress 
the DOMSEC document from Experimental to the Standards Track.  Of course, 
people with the lessons learned from such deployments must be willing to 
participate in the discussions.

Russ

At 03:33 PM 1/21/2004 +1300, Craig McGregor wrote:

>Greetings all,
>
>I recall that the SMIME WG charter once said something similar to
>"Submit domain security services as Proposed Standard", and has since
>changed to "Submit domain security services as Experimental RFC". During
>a browse of the archives I could not find any discussion as to the
>merits or otherwise on pursuing Experimental vs Proposed for this
>document. There was a message titled "Last Call: Domain Security
>Services using S/MIME to Proposed Standard" on 12 June 2001, but nothing
>since.
>
>I am particularly interested in the progress of this RFC because in New
>Zealand we're using a system remarkably similar to Domain Security
>Services for securing e-mail between our Public Service Agencies over
>the internet. This began in late 2000 and is now transparently securing
>messages sent between around 30,000 Public service employees in 41
>government agencies using 78 e-mail domains. For somewhere the size of
>New Zealand this is a relatively large user base for a system.
>
>We view our "S.E.E. Mail" system as an interoperaility standard for
>interfacing between government agencies, and as such rely on the use of
>open standards where possible to ensure product variety. In the past we
>have found that 'Product Managers' of e-mail gateway software are
>relatively uninterested in supporting 'Experimental' standards as they
>are usually limited in deployment and are subject to change or to
>disappear and never been seen before.
>
>Is anyone aware of any similar implementations of DOMSEC in other
>'communities' that have similar paranoia/security requirements? I think
>there was something similar used for Health care in parts of the US?
>
>
>Regards,
>Craig McGregor  http://see.govt.nz/mail

---

From: "James Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:13:43 +1300

As someone who has been actively involved in deployment of SEEMail into New
Zealand government agencies for the last three years, I am very willing to
contribute to such discussions.

I would be very keen to see progress on the development of a standard for
this functionality.

regards,

James Scott

> -----Original Message-----
> Russ Housley wrote:
>
>