Subject: my buggy SMIME implementation

From: Robert Withers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 09:48:21 -0700

I realize this list is for the purpose of discussing the SMIME  
specification and that my implementation question is not pertinent.   
Nevertheless, I hope some kind soul will have the means to assist me  
in figuring out where my implementation is failing.  I could think of  
no other place to go ask this question.

I have written an SMIME client in Squeak, a programming environment.   
I got the CMS put together and I can read signed and encrypted  
messages sent by my Mac Email client.  When I generate signed and  
encrypted emails, however, the Mac Email client cannot read them.  I  
am using the same Certificate and PrivateKey in both email programs,  
so I know that the actual encryption should work, since the Mac email  
decrypts on both the Mac email client and the Squeak client.   
Furthermore, the Mac Email client only tells me that it failed to  
decrypt or failed to verify signature, but no other details.  Is  
there an SMIME Client that runs on the Mac, which could tell me  
exactly where my encrypted msg is bogus?

I have attached a sample encrypted email from both the Mac and  
Squeak.  Without the certs and the privateKey, could someone look at  
the CMS structure and tell me why my Squeak email is failing to decrypt?

Many thanks,
Robert

---

From: Robert Withers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 20:07:47 -0700

I got encryption working with my SMIME implementation, but I am still  
having problems with signed email.  I have attached an email which is  
failing to be verified on my Mac Email program.  Could somebody take  
a look, try to verify it and let me know what the problem is?

thanks,
Robert