Subject: Late WG Last Call Comments: draft-ietf-smime-bfibecms-03.txt

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 12:17:18 -0400

I was not able to review this document before WG Last Call 
ended.  However, I do have some comments.  Please treat them as late 
WG Last Call comment or early IETF Last Call comments.

 > http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-bfibecms-03.txt

1) Section 2 defines EmailIdentitySchema as a UTF8String.  The text says:

       E-mail addresses that contain non-ASCII
       characters MUST be encoded using punycode [RFC3492].

Therefore, the result of the encoding should always be ASCII.  Why is 
an UTF8 String needed?

2) There is a line-wrap problem in the ASN.1 module, which makes the 
indenting inconsistent:

         IBECMS-module { joint-iso-itu-t(2) country(16) us(840)
         organization(1)
           identicrypt(114334) ibcs(1) cms(4) module(5) version(1)
         }

3) There are errors in the ASN.1.  It does not compile!  The 
following are corrected:

         IBERecipientInfo ::= SEQUENCE {
           cmsVersion         INTEGER { v3(3) },
           keyFetchMethod     OBJECT IDENTIFIER,
           recipientIdentity  IBEIdentityInfo,
           serverInfo         SEQUENCE SIZE (1..MAX) OF OIDValuePairs 
OPTIONAL,
           encryptedKey       EncryptedKey
         }

       EncryptedKey ::= OCTET STRING

If you prefer, the EncryptedKey definition could be imported from CMS.

4) A few editorial nits:
-- s/content encryption key (CEK)/content-encryption key (CEK)/ (in Section 4)
-- s/UTF8STRING/UTF8String/

Russ