Subject: Re: WG Last Call: draft-ietf-smime-cms-rsa-kem-03.txt

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:45:54 -0400

Overall, it is a fine document.  I have two comments.

1.  The Abstract says:

    ... This version (-03) updates the ASN.1 syntax to
    align with ANS X9.44 and ISO/IEC 18033-2.

I suggest the following replacement text:

    ... The ASN.1 syntax is aligned with ANS X9.44
    and ISO/IEC 18033-2.

2.  Section 2.1 says:

    An implementation SHOULD also support KDF2 and KDF3 based on SHA-256
    (see [FIPS-180-2]), the Triple-DES Key Wrap (see [3DES-WRAP]) and the
    Camillia key wrap algorithm (see [Camillia]).

I agree with SHOULD support the use of SHA-256 in the KDF.  But, I do 
not like the rest of this structure.  i would rather say something 
like: "If 3DES is supported as a a content-encryption cipher, then 
the Triple-DES Key Wrap (see [3DES-WRAP]) SHOULD be supported."  I 
support a similar statement for Camillia.

Russ