Subject: Content Type for XML Objects

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 09:54:26 -0400

I have received a request to assign an Object Identifier (OID) to be 
used as a content type for XML objects.  The idea is that one would 
look inside the XML object to determine  the type of XML object that 
is being carried inside CMS.

Is this the right thing to do?

Would it be better to have a different content type for each XML object?

Would it be better to use id-data?

Russ

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 03:41:02 +1300

Russ Housley <[email-masked]> writes:

>I have received a request to assign an Object Identifier (OID) to be used as
>a content type for XML objects.  The idea is that one would look inside the
>XML object to determine  the type of XML object that is being carried inside
>CMS.
>

One part of me wants to say "What makes XML so special that it should get its
own content-type?".  However if this is an attempt to clean up the XMLdsig
mess then I'm all for it.

>Would it be better to use id-data?

Redde Caesari quae sunt Caesaris.  Have one overall XML content-type and then
let the XML layer sort out what's actually in there.

Peter.