Subject: RFC 3274 - Compressed Data Content Type for Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)

From: "Maxim Masiutin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 12:27:48 +0200

Hello All,

  Do you know any S/MIME implementation that supports RFC 3274? I would like to test the interoperability of our software (The Bat!) with other software. When RFC 3274, our software was the only to support RFC 3274, so we didn't have anything else to test with, but maybe now the situation have changed?

-- 
Best regards,
Maxim Masiutin                          mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: Dr Stephen Henson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 12:14:14 +0000

>   Do you know any S/MIME implementation that supports RFC 3274? I would like to test the interoperability of our software (The Bat!) with other software. When RFC 3274, our software was the only to…

OpenSSL's CMS implementation supports RFC3274.

Steve.
-- 
Dr Stephen N. Henson.
Core developer of the   OpenSSL project: http://www.openssl.org/
Freelance consultant see: http://www.drh-consultancy.co.uk/
Email: [email-masked], PGP key: via homepage.

---

From: "Timothy J. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 08:12:21 -0600

>   Do you know any S/MIME implementation that supports RFC 3274? I would like to test the interoperability of our software (The Bat!) with other software. When RFC 3274, our software was the only to…

You know, I asked that very same questions a couple of months ago with 
no response, and I never found any *client* that did other than yours. 
Certainly the top tier mail clients do not.

Some S/MIME frameworks may, but I didn't dig down that far (I was 
looking for capabilities to measure, not compatibility).

-- Tim

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 21:48:23 +1300

>Certainly the top tier mail clients do not.

One strong driving force for this was people doing secure messaging (EDI and
the like), so you're more likely to find it being used at that level rather
than with MTAs.

Peter.

---

From: "Timothy J. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 07:54:37 -0600

> the like), so you're more likely to find it being used at that level rather

True, but as DoD policy shifts toward "Thou shalt encrypt email with the 
following types of information contained therein," we keep hearing 
complaints about increased bandwidth consumption.

To which my best answer is "Thou shalt not use email as a file transfer 
protocol," but obviously that's not gaining any traction.  :)

Automated compress-before-encrypt in a couple of common MUAs would at 
least make salving the worried planners easier.

-- Tim

---

From: Dr Stephen Henson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 16:34:56 +0000

> Certainly the top tier mail clients do not.

I tested a couple of well known clients and not only did they not support it
they gave misleading error messages.

I'd expect something like "unsupported content type" instead one said it
couldn't find the correct private key the other said it had an unexpected
problem and I should check for low memory or disk space.

Steve.