Subject: [smime] Document Action: 'New ASN.1 Modules for CMS and S/MIME' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 10:45:03 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'New ASN.1 Modules for CMS and S/MIME '
   <draft-ietf-smime-new-asn1-07.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Tim Polk and Pasi Eronen.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-new-asn1-07.txt

Technical Summary

The Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) format, and many associated
formats, are expressed using ASN.1.  The current ASN.1 modules conform to
the 1988 version of ASN.1.  This document updates those ASN.1 modules to
conform to the 2002 version of ASN.1. There are no bits-on-the-wire
changes to any of the formats; this is simply a change to the syntax.

Working Group Summary

This ID was discussed on the SMIME WG mailing list and at IETF 69, 70,
and 71 (SMIME hasn't met since IETF 71).  All SMIME WG Last Call issues
have been resolved.  Discussion during SMIME WG Last Call demonstrated
working group consensus.  This document has SMIME WG support.

Note that the issue raised in PKIX on this document's sister document
draft-ietf-pkix-new-asn1-05.txt (obsolete vs update) was not an issue in
the SMIME WG.  However, it is expected that whatever the result is that
the SMIME WG ID will be on the same track.

Document Quality

This document obsoletes/updates a number of RFCs from the SMIME WG. The
quality of the draft is comparable in quality to its predecessor.

Personnel

Sean Turner is the document Shepherd.  Tim Polk is the responsible
Security Area AD.