Subject: [smime] Fwd: Document Action: 'Experiment: Hash functions with parameters in CMS and S/MIME' to Experimental RFC (draft-schaad-smime-hash-experiment-06.txt)

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 15:09:37 -0800

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Document Action: 'Experiment: Hash functions with parameters 
in CMS	and S/MIME' to Experimental RFC 
(draft-schaad-smime-hash-experiment-06.txt)
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 13:18:52 -0800
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
CC: Internet Architecture Board <[email-masked]>,        RFC Editor 
<[email-masked]>

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Experiment: Hash functions with parameters in CMS and S/MIME'
   (draft-schaad-smime-hash-experiment-06.txt) as an Experimental RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Sean Turner.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-schaad-smime-hash-experiment/

Technical Summary

The document describes an experiment to determine if any current
implementers have dealt with a new class of hash algorithms which are not
currently deployed. In order to do this a new hash algorithm w/
parameters is defined for use with this experiment and some examples of
the use of the new hash algorithm are included in the document.

Working Group Summary

The S/MIME working group did not consider adopting the document as it was

considered to be esoteric and the working group was planning to shut down
soon. There were no interesting issues discussed on the document.

Document Quality

One implementation of the system exists by the author of the document. No

other known implementations exist. I would not expect people to consider
looking at the document seriously until a serious contender for a hash
algorithm with parameters is presented to the community.

Personnel

Jim Schaad ([email-masked]) is the Document Shepherd.
Sean Turner ([email-masked]) is the Responsible Area Director.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce