Subject: [smime] Last Call: <draft-gutmann-cms-hmac-enc-05.txt> (Using MAC-authenticated Encryption in the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 14:11:31 -0700

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'Using MAC-authenticated Encryption in the Cryptographic Message Syntax
   (CMS)'
  <draft-gutmann-cms-hmac-enc-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-07-20. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document specifies the conventions for using MAC-authenticated
   encryption with the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) authenticated-
   enveloped-data content type.  This mirrors the use of a MAC combined
   with an encryption algorithm that's already employed in IPsec, SSL/
   TLS, and SSH, which is widely supported in existing crypto libraries
   and hardware, and has been extensively analysed by the crypto
   community.

DOWNREF

   This specification contains one normative references to a proposed
   standard: RFC 2898.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gutmann-cms-hmac-enc/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gutmann-cms-hmac-enc/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.