Subject: [smime] [Errata Verified] RFC3183 (3757)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 09:16:51 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been verified for RFC3183,
"Domain Security Services using S/MIME". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=3183&eid=3757

--------------------------------------
Status: Verified
Type: Technical

Reported by: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2013-10-18
Verified by: Sean Turner (IESG)

Section: 3.1.2

Original Text
-------------
   An S/MIME signed attribute is used to indicate the type of signature.
   This should be used in conjunction with the naming conventions
   specified in the previous section.  When an S/MIME signed message
   containing the signature type attribute is received it triggers the
   software to verify that the correct naming convention has been used.

   The ASN.1 [4] notation of this attribute is: -

      SignatureType ::= SEQUENCE OF OBJECT IDENTIFIER

Corrected Text
--------------
   An S/MIME signed attribute is used to indicate the type of signature.
   This should be used in conjunction with the naming conventions
   specified in the previous section.  When an S/MIME signed message
   containing the signature type attribute is received it triggers the
   software to verify that the correct naming convention has been used.

   The following object identifier identifies the SignatureType
   attribute:

      id-aa-signatureType OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { iso(1) 
          member-body(2) us(840) rsadsi(113549) pkcs(1) pkcs9(9) 28 }

   The ASN.1 [4] notation of this attribute is:

      SignatureType ::= SEQUENCE OF OBJECT IDENTIFIER

Notes
-----
The specification provides the syntax for the SignatureType attribute,
but it fails to provide the object identifier for the attribute.  The object
identifier was assigned, but for some reason it is not provided in the
document.

--------------------------------------
RFC3183 (draft-ietf-smime-domsec-09)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Domain Security Services using S/MIME
Publication Date    : October 2001
Author(s)           : T. Dean, W. Ottaway
Category            : EXPERIMENTAL
Source              : S/MIME Mail Security
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG