Subject: snmpconf New draft of Policy Based Management MIB

From: Steve Waldbusser <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 22:25:51 -0700

Here's a new draft of the Policy Based Management MIB. Quite a lot has
been added. Please review for next weeks meeting.

Steve

Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

                 Policy Based Management MIB
                draft-ietf-snmpconf-pm-01.txt
                         May 8, 2000

                       Steve Waldbusser
                         Jon Saperia
                       Thippanna Hongal

Status of this Memo

This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance
with all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026.

Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet
Engineering Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working
groups.  Note that other groups may also distribute working
documents as Internet-Drafts.

Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six
months and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other
documents at any time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-
Drafts as reference material or to cite them other than as
"work in progress."

The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt

The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed
at http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2000).  All Rights Reserved.

1.  Abstract

This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base
(MIB) for use with network management protocols in TCP/IP-
based internets.  In particular, this MIB defines objects that
enable policy-based configuration management of SNMP

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000           [Page 1]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

infrastructures.

2.  The SNMP Management Framework

   The SNMP Management Framework presently consists of five
   major components:

    o   An overall architecture, described in RFC 2571 [1].

    o   Mechanisms for describing and naming objects and
        events for the purpose of management. The first
        version of this Structure of Management Information
        (SMI) is called SMIv1 and described in STD 16, RFC
        1155 [2], STD 16, RFC 1212 [3] and RFC 1215 [4]. The
        second version, called SMIv2, is described in STD 58,
        RFC 2578 [5], RFC 2579 [6] and RFC 2580 [7].

    o   Message protocols for transferring management
        information. The first version of the SNMP message
        protocol is called SNMPv1 and described in STD 15, RFC
        1157 [8]. A second version of the SNMP message
        protocol, which is not an Internet standards track
        protocol, is called SNMPv2c and described in RFC 1901
        [9] and RFC 1906 [10]. The third version of the
        message protocol is called SNMPv3 and described in RFC
        1906 [10], RFC 2572 [11] and RFC 2574 [12].

    o   Protocol operations for accessing management
        information. The first set of protocol operations and
        associated PDU formats is described in STD 15, RFC
        1157 [8]. A second set of protocol operations and
        associated PDU formats is described in RFC 1905 [13].

    o   A set of fundamental applications described in RFC
        2573 [14] and the view-based access control mechanism
        described in RFC 2575 [15].

   A more detailed introduction to the current SNMP Management
   Framework can be found in RFC 2570 [18].

   Managed objects are accessed via a virtual information
   store, termed the Management Information Base or MIB.
   Objects in the MIB are defined using the mechanisms defined
   in the SMI.

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000           [Page 2]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

   This memo specifies a MIB module that is compliant to the
   SMIv2. A MIB conforming to the SMIv1 can be produced
   through the appropriate translations. The resulting
   translated MIB must be semantically equivalent, except
   where objects or events are omitted because no translation
   is possible (use of Counter64). Some machine readable
   information in SMIv2 will be converted into textual
   descriptions in SMIv1 during the translation process.
   However, this loss of machine readable information is not
   considered to change the semantics of the MIB.

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000           [Page 3]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

3.  Overview

Large IT organizations have developed management strategies to cope
with the extraordinarily large scale inherent in large networks. In
particular, they try to manage the network as a whole by describing
and implementing high-level business policies, rather than managing
device by device, where orders of magnitude more decisions (and
mistakes) may be made.

Following this management practice results in the following benefits:
  - Reduced training needs (fewer details to learn)
  - Reduced documentation costs (fewer details to document)
  - Reduced impact of turnover (less ad-hoc knowledge goes out the door)
  - Greater testability (a greater percentage of fielded
    configurations may be tested in the lab)
  - Higher reliability (combination of factors above)
  - Lower cost of changes (changes can be simpler and operate over a
    wider extent)
  - Lower cost of corporate mergers (less knowledge to transfer; fewer
    policies to integrate)
  - Lower cost of ownership (combination of factors above)

To illustrate the concept of "business policies", some examples are:
  - All routers will run code version 6.2
  - On-site contracters will all have special security restrictions on
    their ports
  - All voice over cable ports in California must provide free local
    calling
  - Apply special forwarding to all ports whose customers have paid
    for premium service.

Each of these policies could represent an action applied to hundreds
of thousands of configuration variables.

In order to automate this practice, customers need software tools that
will implement business policies across their network, as well as
a standard protocol that will ensure that it can be applied to all of
their devices, regardless of the vendor.

This practice is called Policy-Based Network Management. This document
defines standard managed objects for the Simple Network Management
Protocol that are used to distribute policies in a standard form
throughout the network.

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000           [Page 4]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

4.  Policy-Based Network Management Architecture

Policy-based network management is the practice of applying management
operations globally on all managed objects that share certain
attributes.

Policies always express a notion of:
  if (an object has certain characteristics) then (apply operation to
  that object)

Policies take the following normal form:

  if (policyFilter) then (policyAction)

A policyFilter is an expression which results in a boolean
to determine whether or not an object is a member of a set of
objects upon which an action is to be performed.

A policyAction is an operation performed on a set of objects.

These policies are executed on managed devices, where the objects live
(and thus their characteristics may be easily inspected), and where
operations on those objects will be performed.

A management station is responsible for distributing an organization's
policies to all of the managed devices in the infrastructure. The
pmPolicyTable provides managed objects for sending a policy to a
managed device.

In this architecture, the objects that policies act on are called
elements. An element is a group of related MIB variables such as all
the variables for interface #7. This enables policies to be expressed
more efficiently and concisely. Elements can also model circuits,
CPUs, queues, processes, systems, etc.

The execution model for policies on a managed device is:

  foreach element for which policyFilter returns true
      execute policyAction on that element

For example:

  If (interface is fast ethernet)       then (apply full-duplex mode)
  If (interface is access)              then (apply security filters)
  If (gold service paid for on circuit) then (apply special queueing)

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000           [Page 5]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

PolicyFilters have the capability of performing comparison operations
on SNMP variables, logical expressions, and other functions. Many
device characteristics are already defined in MIBs and are
easy to include in policyFilter expressions (ifType == ethernet,
frCircuitCommittedBurst < 128K, etc). However, there are
important characteristics that aren't currently in MIB objects, and
worse, it is not current practice to store this information on managed
devices. Therefore, this document defines MIB objects for this
information. To meet today's needs there are three missing areas:
roles, capabilities and time.

Roles

A role is an abstract characteristic assigned to an element that
expresses a notion, such as a political, financial, legal,
geographical, or architectural attribute, typically not directly
derivable from information stored on the managed system. For example,
"paid for premium service" or "is plugged into a UPS" are examples of
roles, whereas the percent utilization of a link would not be.

The types of information one would put into a role are:

  political - describes the role of a person or group of people, or of
              a service that a group of people use. Examples:
              executive, sales, outside-contracter, customer.
        If (attached user is executive) then (apply higher bandwidth)
        If (attached user is outside-contracter) then (restrict access)

  financial/legal - describes what financial consideration was
                    received. Could also include contractual or legal
                    considerations. Examples:
                    paid, gold, free, trial, demo, lifeline
                    (The lifeline example is supposed to model the
                    RBOC's legal obligation to provide dial tone to
                    elderly/poor).
        If (gold service paid for) then (apply special queueing)

  geographical - describes the location of an element. Examples:
                 California, Headquarters, insecure conduit.
        If (interface leaves the building) then (apply special security)

  architectural - describes the network architects "intent" for an
                  element. For example: backup, trunk.
         If (interface is backup) then (set ifAdminStatus = down)

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000           [Page 6]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

  Collectively, these 4 classes of characteristics are called
  roles. Roles are human defined strings that can be referenced by
  a policyFilter. Multiple roles may be assigned to each element.

Capabilities

  Some actions are inappropriate for certain elements or are simply
  unsupported. PolicyFilter's must be able to be defined so that a
  policy can be applied only to elements that have the proper
  capability. The capabilities table provides MIB objects that
  describe the capabilities of the system.

Time

  Managers may wish to define policies that are true for certain
  periods of time. This might mean that a policy is downloaded and is
  dormant for a period of time, becomes active, and then later becomes
  inactive. Sometimes these time periods will be regular (M-F 9-5) and
  sometimes ad-hoc. This MIB provides MIB objects that allow
  policies to be dependent on time.

5.  Policy Based Management Expression Language

Policy filters and policy actions are expressed with the
policy expression language. This expression language provides
the power to make parenthesized logical and arithmetic
comparisons and to call a number of pre-defined functions.

The policy expression language is a subset of ANSI C [19] that
is limited to expressions. Some examples of the features that
have been removed are: function definitions, local variables,
assignments, pointers (except for constant pointers used for
strings), arrays, structures, floating point and pre-processor
functions.

The policy expression language is defined in this standard by
reference to ANSI C, but only allows those constructs that may
be expressed in the BNF documented here. This is done because
while BNF doesn't fully specify syntactical rules (it allows
constructs that are invalid) and doesn't specify semantic
rules, it can successfully be used to define the subset of
ANSI C that is required for conformance to this standard.

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000           [Page 7]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

5.1.  Formal Definition

The policy expression language follows the syntax and
semantics of ANSI C [19], but expressions are limited to those
that can be expressed in the following EBNF form:

    identifier        : ascii_char ( ascii_char | digit )*

    string            : '"' ascii_char* '"'

    expression        : const_exp ( ';' const_exp )*

    const_exp         : compound_exp | conditional_exp

    conditional_exp   : const_exp '?' const_exp ':' const_exp

    binary_operator   :   '*' | '/' | '%' | '+' | '-' | '<<' | '>>'
                        | '<' | '>' | '<=' | '>=' | '==' | '!='
                        | '&' | '^' | '|' | '&&' | '||'

    compound_exp      : unary_exp (binary_operator unary_exp)*

    unary_exp         : integer | char | string
                        | functioncall
                        | '(' unary_exp ')'
                        | unary_operator unary_exp

    unary_operator    : '+' | '-' | ' | '!'

    functioncall      : identifier '(' arg_exp_list? ')'

    arg_exp_list      : const_exp ( ',' const_exp )*

    -- For reference
    ascii_char        : Any ascii character

    digit             : '0' | '1' | '2' | '3' | '4' |
                        '5' | '6' | '7' | '8' | '9'

    hexdigit         : digit | 'A' | 'B' | 'C' | 'D' | 'E' | 'F' |
                               'a' | 'b' | 'c' | 'd' | 'e' | 'f'

    decimal           : digit+

    integer           : decimal | ( '0' 'x' hexdigit+ )

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000           [Page 8]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

    char              : ( ''' ascii_char ''' ) |
                        ( ''' '' decimal ''' )

5.2.  Accessor Functions

Several functions are available to provide access to
information on the local system. No functions are available
except for those described here.

5.2.1.  getint()

The getint() function is used to retrieve the value of an SNMP
MIB instance.

     int getint(char *objectIdentifier)

        objectIdentifier is a NULL terminated string containing an
        ASCII dotted-decimal representation of an object identifier
        (e.g. 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0).

        The 2-character token "$1" can be used in place of any
        decimal sub-identifier. This token is expanded by the agent
        at execution time to contain the index value of each
        element the expression acts upon.

        The agent will retrieve the instance in the same SNMP context
        in which the element resides. Note that no actual SNMP PDU
        needs to be generated and parsed when the policy MIB module
        resides on the same system as the managed elements.

        If the queried object identifier value does not exist or is
        not an integer-valued object, execution of the containing
        expression on the current element will immediately terminate
        and the associated policyAction will not be executed on the
        current element.

        This function returns the value of the integer-valued MIB
        instance.

        It is recommended that NMS user interfaces display and allow
        input of MIB object names by their descriptor values followed
        by the index in dotted-decimal form (e.g., "ifType.7).

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000           [Page 9]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

5.2.2.  getstring()

The getstring() function is used to retrieve the value of an
SNMP MIB instance.

     char * getstring(char *objectIdentifier)

        objectIdentifier is a NULL terminated string containing an
        ASCII dotted-decimal representation of an object identifier
        (e.g. 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0).

        The 2-character token "$1" can be used in place of any
        decimal sub-identifier. This token is expanded by the agent
        at execution time to contain the index value of each
        element the expression acts upon.

        The agent will retrieve the instance in the same SNMP context
        in which the element resides. Note that no actual SNMP PDU
        needs to be generated and parsed when the policy MIB module
        resides on the same system as the managed elements.

        If the queried object identifier value does not exist or is
        not a string-valued or object-identifier-valued object,
        execution of the containing expression on the current
        element will immediately terminate and the associated
        policyAction will not be executed on the current element.

        This function returns a string containing the value of
        string-valued MIB instances or the ASCII dotted-decimal
        representation of object-identifier-valued instances.

        It is recommended that NMS user interfaces display and allow
        input of MIB object names by their descriptor values followed
        by the index in dotted-decimal form (e.g., "ifType.7).

5.2.3.  exists()

The exists() function is used to verify the existence of an
SNMP MIB instance.

     int exists(char *objectIdentifier)

        objectIdentifier is a NULL terminated string containing an
        ASCII dotted-decimal representation of an object identifier

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000          [Page 10]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

        (e.g. 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0).

        The 2-character token "$1" can be used in place of any
        decimal sub-identifier. This token is expanded by the agent at
        execution time to contain the index value of each
        element the expression acts upon.

        The agent will retrieve the instance in the same SNMP context
        in which the element resides. Note that no actual SNMP PDU
        needs to be generated and parsed when the policy MIB module
        resides on the same system as the managed elements.

        This function returns the value 1 if the SNMP instance exists
        and 0 if it doesn't exist.

        It is recommended that NMS user interfaces display and allow
        input of MIB object names by their descriptor values followed
        by the index in dotted-decimal form (e.g., "ifType.7).

5.2.4.  elementName()

The elementName() function is used to determine what the
current element is and can be used to provide information
about the type of element as well as how it is indexed.

    char * elementName(void)

        elementName returns a NULL terminated string containing an
        ASCII dotted-decimal representation of an object identifier
        (e.g. 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0). This object identifier identifies an
        instance of a MIB object that is an attribute of this
        element.

5.2.5.  strcmp()

The strcmp() function is used to compare two strings.

    int strcmp(char *s1, char *s2)

        Arguments s1 and s2 are NULL terminated strings.

        Returns -1 if s1 is lexicographically less than s2.
        Returns 1 if s1 is lexicographically greater than s2.

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000          [Page 11]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

        Returns 0 if s1 and s2 are equal.

5.2.6.  lc_strcmp()

The lc_strcmp() function is used to compare two strings.

    int lc_strcmp(char *s1, char *s2)

        Arguments s1 and s2 are NULL terminated strings that are
        translated into lower case strings lc1 and lc2.
        Then:
        Returns -1 if lc1 is lexicographically less than lc2.
        Returns 1 if lc1 is lexicographically greater than lc2.
        Returns 0 if lc1 and lc2 are equal.

5.2.7.  roleMatch()

The roleMatch() function is used to check to see if the
current element has been assigned a particular role.

    int roleMatch(char *roleString)

        Argument roleString is a NULL terminated string. If this
        exactly matches (content and length) any role assigned to the
        current element, the function returns 1. If no roles match,
        the function returns 0.

5.2.8.  capMatch()

The capMatch() function is used to check to see if the current
element has a certain capability.

    int capMatch(char *capString)

        Argument capability is a NULL terminated string containing a
        ASCII dotted-decimal representation of an object identifier
        that describes a capability as would be found in the
        pmCapabilitiesTable.

        If the current element has the capability described by
        capString, this function returns 1, otherwise it returns 0.

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000          [Page 12]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

5.2.9.  setint()

The setint() function is used to set a MIB instance to a
certain integer value. The setint() function is only valid in
policyActions.  If when executing a policyFilter, the agent
encounters a call to the setint() function, execution of the
policyFilter for the current element will immediately
terminate and the associated policyAction will not be executed
on the current element.

    int setint(char *objectIdentifier, int value)

        objectIdentifier is a NULL terminated string containing an
        ASCII dotted-decimal representation of an object identifier
        (e.g. 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0).

        The 2-character token "$1" can be used in place of any
        decimal sub-identifier. This token is expanded by the agent
        at execution time to contain the index value of each
        element the expression acts upon.

        The agent will set the variable specified by objectIdentifier
        to the value specified by value.

        The agent will set the instance in the same SNMP context
        in which the element resides. Note that no actual SNMP PDU
        needs to be generated and parsed when the policy MIB module
        resides on the same system as the managed elements.

        If the queried object identifier value does not exist and
        cannot be created or is not an integer-valued object,
        0 is returned. If successful, 1 is returned.

        It is recommended that NMS user interfaces display and allow
        input of MIB object names by their descriptor values followed
        by the index in dotted-decimal form (e.g., "ifType.7).

5.2.10.  setstring()

The setstring() function is used to set a MIB instance to a
certain string value. The setstring() function is only valid
in policyActions.  If when executing a policyFilter, the agent
encounters a call to the setstring() function, execution of
the policyFilter for the current element will immediately
terminate and the associated policyAction will not be executed

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000          [Page 13]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

on the current element.

    int setstring(char *objectIdentifier, char *value)

        objectIdentifier is a NULL terminated string containing an
        ASCII dotted-decimal representation of an object identifier
        (e.g. 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0).

        The 2-character token "$1" can be used in place of any
        decimal sub-identifier. This token is expanded by the agent
        at execution time to contain the index value of each
        element the expression acts upon.

        value is a NULL terminated string containing a
        sequence of bytes. The agent will set the variable
        specified by objectIdentifier to the value specified by value.

        The agent will set the instance in the same SNMP context
        in which the element resides. Note that no actual SNMP PDU
        needs to be generated and parsed when the policy MIB module
        resides on the same system as the managed elements.

        If the queried object identifier value does not exist and
        cannot be created or is not a string-valued object,
        0 is returned. If successful, 1 is returned.

        It is recommended that NMS user interfaces display and allow
        input of MIB object names by their descriptor values followed
        by the index in dotted-decimal form (e.g., "ifType.7).

5.2.11.  setoid()

The setoid() function is used to set a MIB instance to a
certain object identifier value. The setoid() function is only
valid in policyActions. If when executing a policyFilter, the
agent encounters a call to the setoid() function, execution of
the policyFilter for the current element will immediately
terminate and the associated policyAction will not be executed
on the current element.

    int setoid(char *objectIdentifier, int value)

        objectIdentifier is a NULL terminated string containing an
        ASCII dotted-decimal representation of an object identifier
        (e.g. 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0).

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000          [Page 14]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

        The 2-character token "$1" can be used in place of any
        decimal sub-identifier. This token is expanded by the agent
        at execution time to contain the index value of each
        element the expression acts upon.

        The agent will set the instance in the same SNMP context
        in which the element resides. Note that no actual SNMP PDU
        needs to be generated and parsed when the policy MIB module
        resides on the same system as the managed elements.

        If the queried object identifier value does not exist and
        cannot be created or is not an object-identifier-valued object,
        0 is returned. If successful, 1 is returned.

        It is recommended that NMS user interfaces display and allow
        input of MIB object names by their descriptor values followed
        by the index in dotted-decimal form (e.g., "ifType.7).

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000          [Page 15]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

6.  Definitions

POLICY-MANAGEMENT-MIB DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN
IMPORTS
    MODULE-IDENTITY, OBJECT-TYPE,
    Integer32, Gauge32, experimental             FROM SNMPv2-SMI
    RowStatus, RowPointer                        FROM SNMPv2-TC
    MODULE-COMPLIANCE, OBJECT-GROUP              FROM SNMPv2-CONF
    SnmpAdminString                              FROM SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB;

--  Policy-Based Management MIB

policyMgt MODULE-IDENTITY
    LAST-UPDATED "200005081500Z"  -- May 8, 2000
    ORGANIZATION "IETF SNMP Configuration Working Group"
    CONTACT-INFO
        "Steve Waldbusser
        Lucent Technologies
        1213 Innsbruck Dr.
        Sunnyvale, CA 94089
        USA
        Phone: +1-650-318-1251
        Fax:   +1-650-318-1633
        Email: [email-masked]

        Jon Saperia
        JDS Consulting, Inc.
        174 Chapman St.
        Watertown MA 02472-3063
        USA
        Phone: +1-617-744-1079
        Fax:   +1-617-249-0874
        Email: [email-masked]

        Thippanna Hongal
        Riverstone Networks, Inc.
        5200 Great America Parkway
        Santa Clara, CA, 95054
        USA

        Phone: +1-408-878-6562
        Fax:   +1-408-878-6501
        Email: [email-masked]"
    DESCRIPTION
        "The MIB module for rule-based configuration of SNMP

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000          [Page 16]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

        infrastructures."

    REVISION "200005081500Z"    -- May 8, 2000
    DESCRIPTION
        "The original version of this MIB, published as RFCXXXX."
    ::= { experimental 99 }

-- The policy group

pmPolicyTable OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF PmPolicyEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The policy table. A policy is a pairing of a
        policyFilter and a policyAction which is used to apply the
        action to a selected set of objects."
    ::= { policyMgt 1 }

pmPolicyEntry OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      PmPolicyEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "An entry in the policy table."
    INDEX { pmPolicyIndex }
    ::= { pmPolicyTable 1 }

PmPolicyEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
    pmPolicyIndex          Integer32,
    pmPolicyFilter         OCTET STRING,
    pmPolicyCalendar       RowPointer,
    pmPolicyAction         OCTET STRING,
    pmPolicyDescription    SnmpAdminString,
    pmPolicyMatches        Gauge32,
    pmPolicyStatus         RowStatus
}

pmPolicyIndex OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Integer32 (0..65535)
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
         "A unique index for this policy entry."
    ::= { pmPolicyEntry 1 }

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000          [Page 17]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

pmPolicyFilter OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      OCTET STRING (SIZE (0..65535))
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
         "A policyFilter is an expression which results in a boolean
         value which represents whether or not an element is a member
         of a set of elements upon which an action is to be performed.

         The format of this expression is the policy expression
         language.

         The policyFilter is evaluated for various objects. Any object
         for which the policyFilter returns any nonzero value will
         match the filter and will have the associated policyAction
         executed on that object."
    ::= { pmPolicyEntry 2 }

pmPolicyCalendar OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      RowPointer
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
         "A pointer to an entry in the schedTable of the Scheduling
         MIB [20]. This policy is active when specified by the
         associated schedule entry.

         If the value of this object is 0.0, this policy is always
         active."
    ::= { pmPolicyEntry 3 }

pmPolicyAction OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      OCTET STRING
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
         "A pmPolicyAction is an operation performed on a set of
         elements. The format of this expression is the "
    ::= { pmPolicyEntry 4 }

pmPolicyDescription OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000          [Page 18]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

         "A description of this rule and its significance, typically
         provided by a human."
    ::= { pmPolicyEntry 5 }

pmPolicyMatches OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Gauge32
    UNITS       "elements"
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
         "The number of policies that are currently matched by the
         associated pmPolicyFilter."
    ::= { pmPolicyEntry 6 }

pmPolicyStatus OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      RowStatus
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
         "The status of this pmPolicyEntry."
    ::= { pmPolicyEntry 7 }

-- roleTable

-- The Role Table associates role strings to elements. It is the
-- responsibility of the agent to keep track of any re-indexing of the
-- underlying SNMP variables and to continue to associate role strings
-- with the element with which they were initially configured.
--
-- The agent must store role string associations in NVRAM.
--
-- The Role String table is visible through 2 SNMP tables. The
-- pmRoleESTable is a read-create table that organized role strings
-- sorted by element. This table is used to create and modify role
-- strings and their associations.
-- The pmRoleSETable is a read-only table that organizes role strings
-- sorted by string. This table is read-only.

pmRoleESTable OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF PmRoleESEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
         "The role string table with element as the major index."
    ::= { policyMgt 2 }

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000          [Page 19]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

pmRoleESEntry OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      PmRoleESEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
         "A role string entry associates a role string with an
         individual element."
    INDEX       { pmRoleESElement, pmRoleESString }
    ::= { pmRoleESTable 1 }

PmRoleESEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
    pmRoleESElement        RowPointer,
    pmRoleESString         SnmpAdminString,
    pmRoleESStatus         RowStatus
}

pmRoleESElement OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      RowPointer
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
         "The element to which this role string is associated.

         If the agent assigns new indexes in the MIB table to
         represent the same underlying element (re-indexing), the
         agent will modify this value to contain the new index for the
         underlying element."
    ::= { pmRoleESEntry 1 }

pmRoleESString OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
         "The role string that is associated with an element through
         this table."
    ::= { pmRoleESEntry 2 }

pmRoleESStatus OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      RowStatus
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
         "The status of this role string."
    ::= { pmRoleESEntry 3 }

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000          [Page 20]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

pmRoleSETable OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF PmRoleSEEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
         "A read-only version of the role string table with
         roleString as the major index. The purpose of this
         table is to make it easy to retrieve all elements that
         share a common string."
    ::= { policyMgt 3 }

pmRoleSEEntry OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      PmRoleSEEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
         "A role string entry associates a role string with an
         individual element."
    INDEX       { pmRoleSEString, pmRoleSEElement }
    ::= { pmRoleSETable 1 }

PmRoleSEEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
    pmRoleSEString         SnmpAdminString,
    pmRoleSEElement        RowPointer
}

pmRoleSEString OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
         "The role string that is associated with an element through
         this table."
    ::= { pmRoleSEEntry 1 }

pmRoleSEElement OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      RowPointer
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
         "The element to which this role string is associated.

         If the agent assigns new indexes in the MIB table to
         represent the same underlying element (re-indexing), the
         agent will modify this value to contain the new index for the

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000          [Page 21]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

         underlying element."
    ::= { pmRoleSEEntry 2 }

    pmConformance   OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { policyMgt 20 }
    pmCompliances   OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { pmConformance 1 }
    pmGroups        OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { pmConformance 2 }

-- capabilities table

pmCapabilitiesTable OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF PmCapabilitiesEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
         "The pmCapabilitiesTable contains a description of
         the inherent capabilities of the system."
    ::= { policyMgt 4 }

pmCapabilitiesEntry OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      PmCapabilitiesEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
         "The description of a capability of the system."
    INDEX       { pmCapabilitiesIndex }
    ::= { pmCapabilitiesTable 1 }

PmCapabilitiesEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
    pmCapabilitiesIndex          Integer32,
    pmCapabilitiesType           OBJECT IDENTIFIER
}

pmCapabilitiesIndex OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Integer32 (1..65535)
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
         "A unique index for this entry."
    ::= { pmCapabilitiesEntry 1 }

pmCapabilitiesType OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      OBJECT IDENTIFIER
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000          [Page 22]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

         "The type of the capability represented by this entry.
         The IANA will publish the list of identifiers that are valid
         values for this object."
    ::= { pmCapabilitiesEntry 2 }

-- Policy Tracking

pmTrackingPolicyToElementTable OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF PmTrackingPolicyToElementEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
         "The pmTrackingPolicyToElementTable describes what elements
         are under control of a policy."
    ::= { policyMgt 5 }

pmTrackingPolicyToElementEntry OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      PmTrackingPolicyToElementEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
         "An entry in the pmTrackingPolicyToElementTable."
    INDEX       { pmPolicyIndex, pmTrackingPolicyToElementElement }
    ::= { pmTrackingPolicyToElementTable 1 }

PmTrackingPolicyToElementEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
    pmTrackingPolicyToElementElement          RowPointer,
    pmTrackingPolicyToElementStatus           INTEGER
}

pmTrackingPolicyToElementElement OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      RowPointer
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
         "The element this policy is configuring."
    ::= { pmTrackingPolicyToElementEntry 1 }

pmTrackingPolicyToElementStatus OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      INTEGER {
                    off(0),
                    on(1)
                }
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000          [Page 23]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

    DESCRIPTION
         "The status of this policy-element relationship. This value
         will be 1 if the associated policyFilter returned 1 for this
         element and if the calendar for the policy is active.

         Entries will only exist in this table if their status is
         on(1). Thus, on(1) is the only value of this object that can
         be retrieved. This object exists so that it can serve as the
         'payload' in the varbind instead of the
         pmTrackingPolicyToElementElement object which is much longer
         and is already in the index (it would otherwise be
         duplicated)."
    ::= { pmTrackingPolicyToElementEntry 2 }

-- Element to Policy Table

pmTrackingElementToPolicyTable OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF PmTrackingElementToPolicyEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
         "The pmTrackingElementToPolicyTable describes what policies
         are controlling an element."
    ::= { policyMgt 6 }

pmTrackingElementToPolicyEntry OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      PmTrackingElementToPolicyEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
         "An entry in the pmTrackingElementToPolicyTable."
    INDEX       { pmTrackingElementToPolicyElement, pmPolicyIndex }
    ::= { pmTrackingElementToPolicyTable 1 }

PmTrackingElementToPolicyEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
    pmTrackingElementToPolicyElement          RowPointer,
    pmTrackingElementToPolicyStatus           INTEGER
}

pmTrackingElementToPolicyElement OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      RowPointer
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
         "The element this policy is configuring."

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000          [Page 24]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

    ::= { pmTrackingElementToPolicyEntry 1 }

pmTrackingElementToPolicyStatus OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      INTEGER {
                    off(0),
                    on(1),
                    forceOff(2)
                }
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
         "The status of this policy-element relationship. This value
         will be 1 if the associated policyFilter returned 1 for this
         element and if the calendar for the policy is active.

         Entries will not exist in this table if their status would be
         off(0).

         A policy can be forcibly disabled on a particular interface
         by setting this value to forceOff(2). The agent should then
         act as if the policyFilter failed for this element. The
         forceOff(2) state will persist (even across reboots) until
         this value is set to on(1) by a management request. Even if
         the policyFilter later fails for this element, this value
         will stay in the forceOff(2) state."
    ::= { pmTrackingElementToPolicyEntry 2 }

-- Compliance Statements

pmCompliance MODULE-COMPLIANCE
    STATUS  current
    DESCRIPTION
        "Describes the requirements for conformance to
        the Policy-Based Management MIB"
    MODULE  -- this module
        MANDATORY-GROUPS { pmPolicyManagementGroup }
    ::= { pmCompliances 1 }

pmPolicyManagementGroup OBJECT-GROUP
    OBJECTS { pmPolicyFilter, pmPolicyCalendar, pmPolicyAction,
              pmPolicyDescription, pmPolicyMatches, pmPolicyStatus,
              pmRoleESStatus, pmRoleSEElement, pmCapabilitiesType,
              pmTrackingPolicyToElementStatus,
              pmTrackingElementToPolicyStatus }
    STATUS  current

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000          [Page 25]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

    DESCRIPTION
        "Objects that allow for the creation and management of
        configuration policies."
    ::=  { pmGroups 1 }

END

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000          [Page 26]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

7.  Security Considerations

There are a number of management objects defined in this MIB
that have a MAX-ACCESS clause of read-write and/or read-
create.  Such objects may be considered sensitive or
vulnerable in some network environments.  The support for SET
operations in a non-secure environment without proper
protection can have a negative effect on network operations.

SNMPv1 by itself is not a secure environment.  Even if the
network itself is secure (for example by using IPSec), even
then, there is no control as to who on the secure network is
allowed to access and GET/SET (read/change/create/delete) the
objects in this MIB.

It is recommended that the implementors consider the security
features as provided by the SNMPv3 framework.  Specifically,
the use of the User-based Security Model RFC 2574 [12] and the
View-based Access Control Model RFC 2575 [15] is recommended.

It is then a customer/user responsibility to ensure that the
SNMP entity giving access to an instance of this MIB, is
properly configured to give access to the objects only to
those principals (users) that have legitimate rights to indeed
GET or SET (change/create/delete) them.

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000          [Page 27]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

8.  References

[1]  Harrington, D., Presuhn, R., and B. Wijnen, "An
     Architecture for Describing SNMP Management Frameworks",
     RFC 2571, April 1999.

[2]  Rose, M., and K. McCloghrie, "Structure and
     Identification of Management Information for TCP/IP-based
     Internets", STD 16, RFC 1155, May 1990.

[3]  Rose, M., and K. McCloghrie, "Concise MIB Definitions",
     STD 16, RFC 1212, March 1991.

[4]  Rose, M., "A Convention for Defining Traps for use with
     the SNMP", RFC 1215, March 1991.

[5]  McCloghrie, K., Perkins, D., Schoenwaelder, J., Case, J.,
     Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser, "Structure of Management
     Information Version 2 (SMIv2)", STD 58, RFC 2578, April
     1999.

[6]  McCloghrie, K., Perkins, D., Schoenwaelder, J., Case, J.,
     Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser, "Textual Conventions for
     SMIv2", STD 58, RFC 2579, April 1999.

[7]  McCloghrie, K., Perkins, D., Schoenwaelder, J., Case, J.,
     Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser, "Conformance Statements for
     SMIv2", STD 58, RFC 2580, April 1999.

[8]  Case, J., Fedor, M., Schoffstall, M., and J. Davin,
     "Simple Network Management Protocol", STD 15, RFC 1157,
     May 1990.

[9]  Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser,
     "Introduction to Community-based SNMPv2", RFC 1901,
     January 1996.

[10] Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser,
     "Transport Mappings for Version 2 of the Simple Network
     Management Protocol (SNMPv2)", RFC 1906, January 1996.

[11] Case, J., Harrington D., Presuhn R., and B. Wijnen,
     "Message Processing and Dispatching for the Simple
     Network Management Protocol (SNMP)", RFC 2572, April
     1999.

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000          [Page 28]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

[12] Blumenthal, U., and B. Wijnen, "User-based Security Model
     (USM) for version 3 of the Simple Network Management
     Protocol (SNMPv3)", RFC 2574, April 1999.

[13] Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser,
     "Protocol Operations for Version 2 of the Simple Network
     Management Protocol (SNMPv2)", RFC 1905, January 1996.

[14] Levi, D., Meyer, P., and B. Stewart, "SNMPv3
     Applications", RFC 2573, April 1999.

[15] Wijnen, B., Presuhn, R., and K. McCloghrie, "View-based
     Access Control Model (VACM) for the Simple Network
     Management Protocol (SNMP)", RFC 2575, April 1999.

[16] McCloghrie, K. and M. Rose, Editors, "Management
     Information Base for Network Management of TCP/IP-based
     internets: MIB-II", STD 17, RFC 1213, Hughes LAN Systems,
     Performance Systems International, March 1991.

[17] McCloghrie, K. and F. Kastenholz, "The Interfaces Group
     MIB using SMIv2", RFC 2233, Cisco Systems, FTP Software,
     November 1997.

[18] Case, J., Mundy, R., Partain, D., and B. Stewart,
     "Introduction to Version 3 of the Internet-standard
     Network Management Framework", RFC 2570, April 1999.

[19] American National Standards Institute, "C Language
     Specification"

[20] Levi, D. and J. Schoenwaelder, "Definitions of Managed
     Objects for Scheduling Management Operations", RFC 2591,
     May 1999.

9.  Intellectual Property

The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of
any intellectual property or other rights that might be
claimed to  pertain to the implementation or use of the
technology described in this document or the extent to which
any license under such rights might or might not be available;
neither does it represent that it has made any effort to
identify any such rights.  Information on the IETF's
procedures with respect to rights in standards-track and

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000          [Page 29]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

standards-related documentation can be found in BCP-11.
Copies of claims of rights made available for publication and
any assurances of licenses to be made available, or the result
of an attempt made to obtain a general license or permission
for the use of such proprietary rights by implementors or
users of this specification can be obtained from the IETF
Secretariat.

The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its
attention any copyrights, patents or patent applications, or
other proprietary rights which may cover technology that may
be required to practice this standard.  Please address the
information to the IETF Executive Director.

10.  Full Copyright Statement

Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2000). All Rights Reserved.

This document and translations of it may be copied and
furnished to others, and derivative works that comment on or
otherwise explain it or assist in its implementation may be
prepared, copied, published and distributed, in whole or in
part, without restriction of any kind, provided that the above
copyright notice and this paragraph are included on all such
copies and derivative works.  However, this document itself
may not be modified in any way, such as by removing the
copyright notice or references to the Internet Society or
other Internet organizations, except as needed for the
purpose of developing Internet standards in which case the
procedures for copyrights defined in the Internet Standards
process must be followed, or as required to translate it into
languages other than English.

The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will
not be revoked by the Internet Society or its successors or
assigns.

This document and the information contained herein is provided
on an "AS IS" basis and THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET
ENGINEERING TASK FORCE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE
USE OF THE INFORMATION HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR
ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000          [Page 30]


Internet Draft    Policy-Based Management MIB      May 8, 2000

Table of Contents

1 Abstract ..............................................    1
2 The SNMP Management Framework .........................    2
3 Overview ..............................................    4
4 Policy-Based Network Management Architecture ..........    5
5 Policy Based Management Expression Language ...........    7
5.1 Formal Definition ...................................    8
5.2 Accessor Functions ..................................    9
5.2.1 getint() ..........................................    9
5.2.2 getstring() .......................................   10
5.2.3 exists() ..........................................   10
5.2.4 elementName() .....................................   11
5.2.5 strcmp() ..........................................   11
5.2.6 lc_strcmp() .......................................   12
5.2.7 roleMatch() .......................................   12
5.2.8 capMatch() ........................................   12
5.2.9 setint() ..........................................   13
5.2.10 setstring() ......................................   13
5.2.11 setoid() .........................................   14
6 Definitions ...........................................   16
7 Security Considerations ...............................   27
8 References ............................................   28
9 Intellectual Property .................................   29
10 Full Copyright Statement .............................   30

Various Authors    Expires November 8, 2000          [Page 31]

---

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 10:38:31 +0200

Again, pls post to I-D repository.
Thanks,
Bert

> ----------
> From: 	Steve Waldbusser[SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Reply To: 	[email-masked]
> Sent: 	Wednesday, May 10, 2000 7:25 AM
> To: 	[email-masked]
> Subject: 	snmpconf New draft of Policy Based Management MIB
> 
> <<File: a.txt>>
>