Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-snmpconf-bcp-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 06:41:20 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Configuration Management with SNMP Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Configuring Networks and Devices with SNMP
	Author(s)	: M. MacFaden, J. Saperia 
	Filename	: draft-ietf-snmpconf-bcp-01.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 04-May-00
	
Data networks have grown greatly in size and complexity over
the past decade. Configuration (provisioning) of network
elements has grown correspondingly more complex. Complexity in
the context of this document means specifically:
1) Scale - data networks consist of more devices than ever
2) Functionality - network devices increasingly perform more
functions
3) Convergence - more devices involved and different levels
of the stack are affected during configuration changes causing
lost connectivity for some period of time
The SNMP framework can and has been used to develop
configuration management systems. This document describes Best
Current Practices that SHOULD be used when designing and
effective SNMP-based management system that includes
configuration functions, or is an SNMP-based system that has
only configuration functions.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-snmpconf-bcp-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-snmpconf-bcp-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-snmpconf-bcp-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.