Subject: Re: snmpconf 12.Taxonomy discussion updates to be in BCP referenced in PM Document

From: Steve Waldbusser <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:22:57 -0700

I've tightened this up a bit. How does this look?:

"When using policy-based management specifically for (policy-based)
configuration, the "Configuring Networks and Devices With SNMP" [xx]
document describes configuration management practices that may be
helpful to those developing and using this technology."

Steve

Jon Saperia wrote:
> 
> I propose adding the following at the end of section 3 of the PM
> Document. Before writing this I checked 2026 and 1543 for an exact
> meaning of a 'normative reference'. There really was no such thing. I
> checked further with Scott Bradner and ran an example by him. What
> follows should not pose any restrictions on the PM document. It is
> included to help a larger community understand the SNMPCONF work,
> especially those building management applications:
> 
>       "The concepts associated Policy-Based Network Management will be
>       new to many. This document provides some useful examples of
>       different types of policy information and their relationships. The
>       Configuring Networks and Devices With SNMP [xx] contains
>       additional terminology, an example MIB Module, and an information
>       hierarchy that may be helpful to those developing and using this
>       technology."
> 
> Thanks,
> /jon
> 
> --
> Jon Saperia                  [email-masked]
>                              Phone: 617-744-1079
>                              Fax:   617-249-0874
>                              http://www.jdscons.com/

---

From: Jon Saperia <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 09:06:49 -0400

My problem with your revision is that it is so 'tightened' now that it only 
references the practices and not the taxonomy. I like the practices part. Lets 
either go with my original proposal or propose an extension to what you have 
below that includes the taxonomy issues. I could be happy if we just appended 
to your proposal the last sentence of my original posting. It modified to fit 
after your is:

    "Configuring Networks and Devices With SNMP [xx] also contains
    additional terminology, an example MIB Module, and an information
    hierarchy that may be helpful to those developing and using this
    technology."

/jon

Thanks,
/jon
--

---

From: Steve Waldbusser <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 07:54:41 -0700

OK, I'll add your last sentence. After eliminating repetitive wording I
get:

"When using policy-based management specifically for (policy-based)
configuration, the "Configuring Networks and Devices With SNMP" [xx]
document describes configuration management practices, terminology, 
an example MIB Module, and an information hierarchy that may be
helpful to those developing and using this technology."

Steve

---

From: Jon Saperia <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:25:39 -0400

Perfect. 
/jon

Thanks,
/jon
--

---

From: David Partain <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 20:58:34 +0200

Hi,

> helpful to those developing and using this technology."

That looks great.  Thanks.

dlp