Subject: Comments on draft-ietf-snmpconf-bcp-08.txt

From: "Carl W. Kalbfleisch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 15:44:35 -0500

I just read over the lastest snmp conf BCP. This document is *very*
useful. We will be able to make use of this informationin some work
that we are doing now. Good work!!!

I have a couple comments. 

There is a ">" at the beginning of this sentence:
    5.1.  Configuration Application Interactions with Managed Systems

    >From the point of view of the design of the management application,

This section is a little unclear...

> 5.1.3.  Tracking Configuration Changes
> 
> As previously described in Section 3.3.5 (Summary Objects and State
> Tracking), agents should provide the capability for notifications to be
> sent to their configured management systems whenever a configuration
> operation is attempted or completed.  The management application must be
> prepared to accept these notifications so that it knows the current
> configured state of the devices under its control.  Some configuration
> management applications may consume data from the managed devices that

This is a little unclear to me. Consume makes it sound like the data
comes in the notification. But what is meant is that the notification
starts a process of gathering data. Instead of the sentence starting
with "Some configuration...", I would suggest something like "Upon
receipt of the notification, the management application should use
get-bulk or
get-next to retrieve the configuration from the agent and store it (in a
database).

Thanks again for this piece of work. I am sure it will prove useful.

Carl

-- 
Carl W. Kalbfleisch
NTT/VERIO
www.nttverio.com

---

From: Jon Saperia <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 09:02:26 +0000

On Friday 24 May 2002 08:44 pm, Carl W. Kalbfleisch wrote:
> > Tracking), agents should provide the capability for notifications to
> > be sent to their configured management systems whenever a
> > configuration operation is attempted or completed.  The management
> > application must be prepared to accept these notifications so that it
> > knows the current configured state of the devices under its control. 
> > Some configuration management applications may consume data from the
> > managed devices that
>

Carl, thanks for the read and the comments. Assuming that there are no 
objections, we can incorporate your revision in the version we pass on to 
our ADs.

/jon

-- 
Jon Saperia                         
				
[email-masked]
Phone: 617-744-1079
Fax:   617-249-0874
http://www.jdscons.com/