Subject: Rmon2 -Address Map Group

From: Benichou Shimon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 05:35:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hi ,
Working with the HpOpen View SNMP Browser ,I'm trying
to get some information from the AddressMap group.
Nothing appears .
I tried also with the 3com Transcend monitor ,and the
same results.
It seems that I forget to make some changes on some
objects elsewhere.
Can you help me in getting a list of relational Mac
address and network addresses ?
what do I have to do ,for that ?

Thanks.

Shimon
_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 20:07:46 +0100

Hi,

You don't mention the type of probe you are using - that would be helpful.

Anyway the addressMapTable will only be populated under certain conditions:

(1) The probe must support the table; check with vendor, or do some probing
to see if any of the objects are present.

addressMapInserts/addressMapDeletes/addressMapMaxDesiredEntries are all
scalars and should be present if the agent supports this table.
Also probeCapabilities, bit 20, should be set if the agent supports address
mapping in principle.

(2) The table must be enabled on the interface which you are trying to
monitor.  Let's assume that is ifIndex.1 then there must be a row in the
addressMapControlTable like this (X is any number between 1..65535):

addressMapControlDataSource.X = ifIndex.1
addressMapControlDroppedFrames.X  = random counter32 value.
addressMapControlOwner.X = random owner string (maybe "monitor").
addressMapControlStatus = active(1).

The first and last ones are the only ones that matter; the dataSource must
point at your interface, the controlStatus must be active(1).  If this row
does not exist, create it.  Check for error returns and ignored sets
afterwards (who knows, the agent may appear to accept your request, only to
ignore it - it happens!).

Also in order for any data to be collected addressMapMaxDesiredEntries
should be some non-zero number, preferably quite large; for testing 100
should be fine.

(3) The protocols of significance must also have address mapping supported
and enabled.  This is the hardest thing to explain in detail, but in
principle you need to scan the protocol directory looking for the network
layers you care about (i.e. IP :-) and then make sure that the
protocolDirAddressMapConfig object for those rows has the value
supportedOn(3).  If it is supportedOff(2) change it; if it is
notSupported(1) there is nothing you can do.  The easiest way to scan the
protocol directory, assuming you do not have a good tool to do it, is to
walk protocolDirDescr and protocolDirAddressMapConfig and hope that the
vendor's description strings mean something to you.

For example from a probe on my network, all rows which have
protocolDirAddressMapConfig = supportedOn(3):

Descr                   AddressMapConfig
*.idp                   supportedOn(3)
*.ip                    supportedOn(3)
*.vip                   supportedOn(3)
*.drp                   supportedOn(3)
*.atalk                 supportedOn(3)
*.ipx                   supportedOn(3)

... which is the obvious set.

(4) The probe has enough memory left to populate the table; I would reboot
it if in doubt.
Hope this helps,

Robin