Subject: BOF Announcement: A Session-based Security Model for SNMP

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 19:21:48 -0800

Session Based Security Model for SNMPv3 BOF (sbsm)

Wednesday, November 12 at 1530-1730
==================================

BOF CHAIRS:	Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
                David Perkins <[email-masked]>

READING MATERIAL:
  draft-hardaker-snmp-session-sm-00.txt
    From the Abstract:
      This document describes a Session Based Security Model (SBSM)
      for use within the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP).
      The security model is designed to establish a "session" between
      two interacting hosts, over which SNMP operations can be sent.
      It provides a number of security properties not previously
      available in [currently] defined SNMP security models, such as
      public key based authentication, limited life-time keying, and
      the ability to make use of previously implemented and deployed
      security infrastructures for purposes of identification and
      authentication.

AGENDA:

Draft agenda for the BOF:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
  Agenda Bashing                              5 min
  Introduction to the problem space           10 min
  draft-hardaker-snmp-session-sm-00.txt       20 min
  Discussion                                  remaining time

Mailing Lists:
    [email-masked]
  To (un)subscribe:
    [email-masked]
  Archive and general information:
    https://www.machshav.com/mailman/listinfo/sbsm

Description of Working Group:

  The SBSM working group will focus on creating a new session-based
  security model [for SNMPv3] that will meet the security and
  operational needs of network administrators.

Work Items

 - A document describing a session-based security model for the
   SNMPv3's protocol.

Goals and Milestones:

 Mar 04   Initial draft(s) defining the SBSM security model
          to be completed so reference implementations can begin.

 Nov 04   Work submitted to the IESG to publish as a proposed standard RFC.

-- 
Wes Hardaker
Sparta