From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 08:25:53 -0500 (EST)

> From majordomo-owner  Fri Nov 21 00:04:46 2003
[192.94.214.100])
	by lists.tislabs.com (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id AAA09900
	Fri, 21 Nov 2003 00:04:46 -0500 (EST)
nutshell.tislabs.com via csmap (V6.0)
	id srcAAA_0aq3v; Fri, 21 Nov 03 00:12:31 -0500
E-Mail VirusWall NT); Fri, 21 Nov 2003 00:16:44 -0500
indhubbhs01.ad.infosys.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.6713);
	 Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:40:40 +0530
BLRKECIMR01.ad.infosys.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.6713);
	 Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:40:40 +0530
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft Exchange V6.0.6375.0
content-class: urn:content-classes:message
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="Windows-1252"
Subject: MIB Scalar to MIB Table conversion.
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:40:40 +0530
Message-ID: 
<[email-masked]>
Thread-Topic: MIB Scalar to MIB Table conversion.
Thread-Index: AcOv7c6M25hDt2SrTl2W7bwOwbvfyg==
From: "poojan_tanna" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 21 Nov 2003 05:10:40.0382 (UTC) 
FILETIME=[CE8AD1E0:01C3AFED]
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-MIME-Autoconverted: from quoted-printable to 8bit by 
lists.tislabs.com id AAA09901
Sender: [email-masked]
Precedence: bulk

Hi All,

I want to convert a group of MIB Scalars into a single MIB Table of a 
propriety MIB.

I am not sure how to go about it.

The options that I can think:
1. Obsolote all MIB Scalars and create a new MIB Table with the new
    name of for each of the MIB Objects eventhough the functionality 
remain
    same for all them.

2. Deprecate all the existing MIB Scalars and continue to provide 
support.
    At the same time create a new MIB Table with the same set of
    MIB Objects with the name changed.

3. Comment out the existing MIB scalars. Define a new MIB Table with the
    same set of MIB Objects and keep the same name.

It would be great if you can suggest me some document which discusses 
this
conversion procedure.

Thanks,
Poojan.

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 18:20:07 +0100

>>>>> owner-snmpv3  writes:

poojan> I want to convert a group of MIB Scalars into a single MIB
poojan> Table of a propriety MIB.

poojan> I am not sure how to go about it.

poojan> The options that I can think: 1. Obsolote all MIB Scalars and
poojan> create a new MIB Table with the new name of for each of the
poojan> MIB Objects eventhough the functionality remain same for all
poojan> them.

poojan> 2. Deprecate all the existing MIB Scalars and continue to
poojan> provide support.  At the same time create a new MIB Table with
poojan> the same set of MIB Objects with the name changed.

poojan> 3. Comment out the existing MIB scalars. Define a new MIB
poojan> Table with the same set of MIB Objects and keep the same name.

Option 3. has no advantage which I can see compared to option 1 and
option 2 so I would advise not to do this. Whether you deprecate the
scalars or obsolete them really depends on the question whether you
can/want to still support them. If you can support them (in the sense
that the semantics can still be satisfied), then you should just
deprecate the scalars to get a smoother transition period.

In other words: If you can still implement the scalars with the right
semantics, I suggest to go for option 2. If the scalars just do not
work anymore and applications really need to use the table objects, go
for option 1.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany