Subject: [Softwires] "Softwires" is a trademark?

From: Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:10:45 -0500

Sorry to start off on a low note - my browser is rendering part of the 
softwires charter at https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/softwires as 
"configured tunnels or â€˜softwiresâ€™" - if you can't read the 
superscripted characters following â€, they seem to be "TM".

https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/ipr_search.cgi doesn't seem to pop 
up anything with softwires in the working group name, document name, or 
disclosure name.

Do we know if we have an IPR disclosure for this (apparent) trademark?

It's easy to imagine that one would be slithering through the process 
(since the mailing list has just been created), but I thought I should ask.

Spencer

_______________________________________________
Softwires mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/softwires

---

From: Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 17:46:50 +0200

Spencer Dawkins wrote:

> softwires charter at https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/softwires 
> as "configured tunnels or â€˜softwiresâ€™" - if you can't read the 
> up anything with softwires in the working group name, document name, 
> or disclosure name.
>
I haven't a clue if "softwire" is trademarked in any way. I think the 
BoF chairs get credit for making up the term, and AFAIK they didn't talk 
to any lawyers.

You prompted me to do a quick google though, which reveals that there is 
a company named "Softwire Technology" which seems to be some sort of 
graphical programming software for visual basic.

If we have to change the name again, so be it, I'll migrate the list at 
the time.

- Mark