Subject: [Softwires] applicability of softwires inside ISP's *own* network

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 19:47:13 +0300 (EEST)

Hi,

During the meeting, Sprint seemed to present the need to be able to 
use the tunnel broker for their v6-in-v4 tunnels.  I was not sure, but 
similar but for v4-in-v6 might have been there for CERNET.

If I understood these requirements correctly (please correct me if 
wrong), both Sprint and CERNET were looking for a dynamic mechanism to 
be used within a single ISP's backbone (within an autonomous system, 
in relatively stable topology).

In other words, a mechanism to automatically set huge vX-in-vY tunnel 
meshes between their backbone routers using a dynamic protocol.

I specifically don't see the need for the softwire protocol in this 
kind of "tunnel mesh" context.

Specifically, I think the creation of tunnel meshes is undesirable 
because:

  1) mesh creation is no different than the typical operational
     practises today e.g., wrt the set-up of iBGP sessions.  The same
     techniques apply.  No protocol is needed here.
  2) dynamic set-up is more failure-prone than manual configuration; as
     an ISP, I definitely want to configure the tunnels between my own
     routers manually so I know that they will always work as expected.
  3) a broker setting up tunnels between all the routers also has
     significant securiy implications.

So, I don't see the applicability of softwires for tunnels set up 
inside an ISP's own network.  I suggest that this scenario be 
explicitly stated to be out of scope.

On the other hand, yes, I think a softwire protocol is useful between 
an ISP and a dynamic customer (typically a single user, home, or SOHO 
but not large customers because these are more static) where manually 
configured tunnels are not feasible.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

_______________________________________________
Softwires mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/softwires

---

From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 00:13:35 +0700

Completely agree ;-)

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
> Responder a: <[email-masked]>
> Fecha: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 19:47:13 +0300 (EEST)
> Para: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> Asunto: [Softwires] applicability of softwires inside ISP's *own* network
> 
> Hi,
> 

************************************
The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Barcelona 2005 Global IPv6 Summit
Information available at:
http://www.ipv6-es.com

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, including attached files, is prohibited.