Subject: [Softwires] Thoughts on new I-D?: Gateway Initiated Dual-stack lite Deployment

From: "Frank Brockners (fbrockne)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 18:26:08 +0200

FYI. We just wanted to draw your attention to a new draft "Gateway
Initiated Dual-stack lite" - which outlines a modified deployment
approach of the  original dual-stack lite. The approach applies to those
network architectures which already employ some form of tunneling
technology in the access network. The key idea is to leverage the
existing access tunnel (which means that architectural changes within
the access network are limited to the gateway terminating access tunnel)
and stitch it together with a softwire connecting to the CGN. While
largely targeted at mobility architectures, the solution could be
applied to broadband environments as well. 

A copy of the draft is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-gundavelli-softwire-gateway-init-ds-lite-00
.txt 

We appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Thanks & regards, Sri & Frank

---

Abstract

    Dual-Stack lite has been proposed as a IPv4 to IPv6 transition
    technology.  Dual-stack lite allows a service provider to migrate
his
    network to IPv6, while still offering IPv4 services to the end
    customer.  The dual-stack lite solution uses an IPv4 over IPv6
tunnel
    between a host (or access device) and a dual-stack lite large scale
    NAT.  Several existing network architectures (e.g. 3GPP, WiMAX, or
    PPP based broadband networks) already specify dual-stack deployment
    and leverage tunneling technology between the access device and an
    access gateway in the provider network.  Applying the existing dual-
    stack lite concept to these networks will result in changes to the
    end-system and unnecessary tunneling overhead.  This draft describes
    a modified implementation of dual-stack lite where existing access
    tunnels are extended beyond the access gateway to the dual-stack
lite
    large scale NAT using softwires.  This evolved approach applies to
    IPv4 as well as IPv6 networks.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 18:08:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: IETF I-D Submission Tool <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: New Version Notification for
     draft-gundavelli-softwire-gateway-init-ds-lite-00

A new version of I-D,
draft-gundavelli-softwire-gateway-init-ds-lite-00.txt has been
successfuly submitted by Sri Gundavelli and posted to the IETF
repository.

Filename:	 draft-gundavelli-softwire-gateway-init-ds-lite
Revision:	 00
Title:		 Gateway Initiated Dual-Stack Lite Deployment
Creation_date:	 2009-10-13
WG ID:		 Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 21

Abstract:
Dual-Stack lite has been proposed as a IPv4 to IPv6 transition
technology.  Dual-stack lite allows a service provider to migrate his
network to IPv6, while still offering IPv4 services to the end customer.
The dual-stack lite solution uses an IPv4 over IPv6 tunnel between a
host (or access device) and a dual-stack lite large scale NAT.  Several
existing network architectures (e.g. 3GPP, WiMAX, or PPP based broadband
networks) already specify dual-stack deployment and leverage tunneling
technology between the access device and an access gateway in the
provider network.  Applying the existing dual- stack lite concept to
these networks will result in changes to the end-system and unnecessary
tunneling overhead.  This draft describes a modified implementation of
dual-stack lite where existing access tunnels are extended beyond the
access gateway to the dual-stack lite large scale NAT using softwires.
This evolved approach applies to
IPv4 as well as IPv6 networks.

The IETF Secretariat.