Subject: [Softwires] draft-mdt-softwire-map-deployment

From: Cameron Byrne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 21:45:59 -0800

Thanks for submitting this help draft. I have a few questions.

Is it the case that MAP deployments require DHCPv6 and therefore for
mobile the solution is scoped only for 3GPP release 10 and beyond
networks?

In figure #2, from which interface does the IPv6 UE source packets
towards the BR to reach the IPv4 internet?  Is it from one of the /56
interfaces since they are the ones assigned via DHCPv6?

CB

---

From: GangChen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 14:43:51 +0800

Hello Cameron,

> mobile the solution is scoped only for 3GPP release 10 and beyond

I guess R10 and beyond is desirable. Otherwise, MAP parameters should
be configured in an another way, e.g. TR069

> interfaces since they are the ones assigned via DHCPv6?

That is correct

Gang

---

From: Ole Trøan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 12:56:56 +0100

Cameron,

> mobile the solution is scoped only for 3GPP release 10 and beyond

MAP could be provisioned with whatever protocol you like. DHCPv6 is kind of the obvious one and the one IETF controls.
which one would fit best in a 3GPP environment? GTP (or DNS)?

cheers,
Ole

---

From: Cameron Byrne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 04:43:48 -0800

On Mar 6, 2012 3:56 AM, "Ole Trøan" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> MAP could be provisioned with whatever protocol you like. DHCPv6 is kind
of the obvious one and the one IETF controls.
> which one would fit best in a 3GPP environment? GTP (or DNS)?

None come to mind.

GTP with PCO might work, but I think it would end up being a lot of sdo
heavy lifting to make that work and the timeline would be long.

I am still unclear on how MAP works.  Is it a /128 that the CE must use so
that magic happens ? If so, I am not even sure that is scoped currently in
3gpp since the use case is pd with dhcpv6

For someone who wants MAP to work in 3gpp, the best path may be to hold out
for dhcpv6 and make specific requirements on how the ue must source traffic
from an address acquired from dhcpv6 when MAP is the transition solution.

But, it may end up looking like a square peg pounded into a round hole.
But, such is life in transition

Cb
 On Mar 6, 2012 3:56 AM, "Ole Trøan" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> MAP could be provisioned with whatever protocol you like. DHCPv6 is kind
> of the obvious one and the one IETF controls.

---

From: Ole Trøan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 13:51:52 +0100

Cameron,

> GTP with PCO might work, but I think it would end up being a lot of sdo heavy lifting to make that work and the timeline would be long.
> 
> I am still unclear on how MAP works.  Is it a /128 that the CE must use so that magic happens ? If so, I am not even sure that is scoped currently in 3gpp since the use case is pd with dhcpv6

do you know how 6to4 or ISATAP works?
it works pretty much just like that, but with the forwarding mapping being from IPv4 address to IPv6 address instead
of from an IPv6 address to an IPv4 tunnel end point address.

> For someone who wants MAP to work in 3gpp, the best path may be to hold out for dhcpv6 and make specific requirements on how the ue must source traffic from an address acquired from dhcpv6 when MAP is the transition solution.

there isn't any specific requirements as such. for MAP-E all traffic is terminated at a single address that the CE has to 'configure' for itself based on the delegated prefix / assigned address.

> But, it may end up looking like a square peg pounded into a round hole. But, such is life in transition

indeed. of course in 3GPP where you already have a tunnel, one would think you could take advantage of that.

cheers,
Ole

---

From: Rémi Després <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 15:29:11 +0100

Hi, Cameron,

> But, it may end up looking like a square peg pounded into a round hole. But, such is life in transition
Any idea why it would be so difficult to have DHVPv6 in Android phones, noting that it would NOT imply support of many DHCPv6 options.

In the context of your question, MAP options should be sufficient.
(Note that the same comment applies to 4rd if retained as unified standard, but this is a separate discussion.)

RD

> _______________________________________________
> Softwires mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/softwires

---

From: Cameron Byrne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 08:00:53 -0800

On Mar 6, 2012 6:29 AM, "Rémi Després" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> > MAP could be provisioned with whatever protocol you like. DHCPv6 is
kind of the obvious one and the one IETF controls.
>>
>> I am still unclear on how MAP works.  Is it a /128 that the CE must use
so that magic happens ? If so, I am not even sure that is scoped currently
in 3gpp since the use case is pd with dhcpv6
>>
>> For someone who wants MAP to work in 3gpp, the best path may be to hold
out for dhcpv6 and make specific requirements on how the ue must source
traffic from an address acquired from dhcpv6 when MAP is the transition
solution.
> Any idea why it would be so difficult to have DHVPv6 in Android phones,
noting that it would NOT imply support of many DHCPv6 options.

I don't know.  In 2012, it is not there yet in either the handsets or any
of the mobile infrastructure components, Afaik.

Cb

> (Note that the same comment applies to 4rd if retained as unified
standard, but this is a separate discussion.)
>>> MAP could be provisioned with whatever protocol you like. DHCPv6 is
kind of the obvious one and the one IETF controls.

---

From: Qiong <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 21:52:29 +0800

Hi Cameron,

With regard to DHCPv6 patch for Andorid, we have implemented one and have
succeed in IPv6 trail for several CDMA phones including Moto XT800, ME811,
etc. It is not so difficult : )

Best wishes

Qiong

---

From: Cameron Byrne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 07:33:06 -0800

> etc. It is not so difficult : )

Excellent, any chance that patch is being pushed upstream into Android
for general use?

---

From: Qiong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 00:18:35 +0800

We have submitted it to google, but google has not finished reviewing it.

btw, is there any possible way to accelerate its reviewing process ? It has
passed more than half a year. Is there anyone who can help ?

Thanks a lot!

Best wishes

Qiong

---

From: Cameron Byrne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 08:57:21 -0800

> We have submitted it to google, but google has not finished reviewing it.

That is good you have submitted it to Google

Just to set context, this was setup for cdma ... not GSM/UMTS/LTE

As stated here http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6459#section-5.4

3gpp networks do not support stateful dhcpv6 for assignment to the ue,
dhcpv6 is only for prefix delegation and only in release 10+ networks
(things that are not deployed anywhere today)

Cb

> btw, is there any possible way to accelerate its reviewing process ? It
has passed more than half a year. Is there anyone who can help ?