Subject: [Softwires] Way forward with MAP-T and 4rd

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 18:07:26 -0400

Hi all,
  One of the followup questions we had after choosing the standards
track solution was to see what the wg wanted to do with the other two
solutions (MAP-T and 4rd). The sense of the room was that the wg was in
favor of not abandoning them. We have not verified this formally in the
ML and we have not worked out the exact logistics of how we will go
about pursuing the other solutions. The chairs will get this process
started by the end of this week with a set of questions to the wg.

Thanks
Suresh & Yong

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:46:00 -0300

Hello Suresh and all,

Regardind MAP-T we, at NIC.br, made some tests to verify the user  
experience on a network using MAP-T.

We published a draft with the results  
(http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-cordeiro-softwire-experience-mapt-00.txt).

Any comments are welcome.

Best Regards,

Edwin Cordeiro
NIC.br

Quoting "Suresh Krishnan" <[email-masked]>:

> _______________________________________________
> Softwires mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/softwires
>

---

From: Cameron Byrne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 12:05:47 -0700

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 11:46 AM,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hello Suresh and all,
>
> Regardind MAP-T we, at NIC.br, made some tests to verify the user experience
> on a network using MAP-T.
>

Cool.

Looks a little HTTP heavy.

It would be interesting to see broader variety of applications tested,
especially since FTP failed... seems like many applications that
requires ALGs may fail like XMPP, SIP, PPTP, IPsec ESP, RTSP,
ICE/STUN/WebRTC .... Skype would also be an interesting test case
since that is frequently seen as an IPv6 spoiler, but i assume it
would work.

---

From: Cameron Byrne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 12:14:50 -0700

> since that is frequently seen as an IPv6 spoiler, but i assume it

Ooops.. Looks like you did test Skype and XMPP.  Thanks!

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 10:09:58 +0200

Dear Edwin,

Thank you for sharing the experiment results. 

I saw you made tests for torrent applications. FWIW, we had done an extensive testing of this application. The results of these testing are valid for all address sharing variants (including A+P): http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-pcp-bittorrent-00. This I-D provides an explanation for the failure you observed.

Cheers,
Med 

>-----Message d'origine-----
>De : [email-masked] 
>[mailto:[email-masked]] De la part de [email-masked]
>Envoyé : lundi 17 septembre 2012 20:46
>À : [email-masked]
>Objet : Re: [Softwires] Way forward with MAP-T and 4rd
>
>Hello Suresh and all,
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 09:07:03 -0300

Thank you Mohamed,

I will add a reference to your draft on a future version, as it has a  
much more detailed information about the torrent limitations with  
shared addresses.

BR,
Edwin

Quoting [email-masked]:

> I saw you made tests for torrent applications. FWIW, we had done an  
> extensive testing of this application. The results of these testing  
> are valid for all address sharing variants (including A+P):  
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-pcp-bittorrent-00. This  
> I-D provides an explanation for the failure you observed.
>
> Cheers,
> Med
>