Subject: [Softwires] Last Call: <draft-ietf-softwire-public-4over6-09.txt> (Public IPv4 over IPv6 Access Network) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 06:45:28 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Softwires WG (softwire) to
consider the following document:
- 'Public IPv4 over IPv6 Access Network'
  <draft-ietf-softwire-public-4over6-09.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-05-24. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   When the service provider networks are upgraded to IPv6, end users
   will continue to demand IPv4 connectivity.  This document describes a
   mechanism for hosts or customer networks in IPv6 access network to
   build bidirectional IPv4 communication with the IPv4 Internet.  The
   mechanism follows the hub and spokes softwire model, and uses IPv4-
   over-IPv6 tunnel as basic method to traverse IPv6 network.  The bi-
   directionality of this IPv4 communication is achieved by explicitly
   allocating public IPv4 addresses to end users, as well as maintaining
   IPv4-IPv6 address binding on the border relay.  This mechanism
   features the allocation of full IPv4 address over IPv6 network, and
   has been used in production for high-end IPv4 users, IPv6 transition
   of ICPs, etc.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-softwire-public-4over6/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-softwire-public-4over6/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.