Subject: [Softwires] Protocol Action: 'DHCPv6 Option for IPv4-Embedded Multicast and Unicast IPv6 Prefixes' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-softwire-multicast-prefix-option-15.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2017 08:33:03 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'DHCPv6 Option for IPv4-Embedded Multicast and Unicast IPv6 Prefixes'
  (draft-ietf-softwire-multicast-prefix-option-15.txt) as Proposed
Standard

This document is the product of the Softwires Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Suresh Krishnan and Terry Manderson.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-softwire-multicast-prefix-option/

Technical Summary

This document defines a new DHCPv6 option for provisioning
clients with the configuration parameters necessary for
multicast IPv4 traffic over a single-stack IPv6 multicast
service provider network. It's intended function is
for the provisioning of mB4 clients as described in
draft-ietf-softwire-dslite-multicast.

Working Group Summary

There is consensus in the WG for the publication of this
document. WGLC was originally completed in 2013, but
the document has been delayed in progressing due to
higher priority WG documents.

This document was discussed in depth and well-reviewed. 

Document Quality

As the document defines a new DHCP option, it was passed
to the DHC WG for review (in 2012). The comments raised in 
this review have been resolved in this version. In preparation
for advancing the document, there has been additional review and
all raised points have been satisfactorily addressed.
An implementation was demoed at IETF82 which showed interworking
between a vendor's implementation of the mAFTR and a mB4
implementation.

Personnel

Softwire co-chair, Ian Farrer, is the Document Shepherd.
Terry Manderson is the Responsible AD.