Subject: [Softwires] Genart telechat review of draft-ietf-softwire-mesh-multicast-23

From: Brian Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 20:19:40 -0700

Reviewer: Brian Carpenter
Review result: Ready with Issues

Gen-ART telechat review of draft-ietf-softwire-mesh-multicast-23

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. The General Area
Review Team (Gen-ART) reviews all IETF documents being processed
by the IESG for the IETF Chair. Please wait for direction from your
document shepherd or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

For more information, please see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Document: draft-ietf-softwire-mesh-multicast-23.txt
Reviewer: Brian Carpenter
Review Date: 2018-09-22
IETF LC End Date: 2018-09-06
IESG Telechat date: 2018-09-27 

Summary: Ready with issues
--------

Comments: 
---------

Thank you for handling my Last Call comments. I am mentioning my previous
issue again in case the IESG thinks any further change is needed.

Issue:
------

"7.3.  Fragmentation

   The encapsulation performed by an upstream AFBR will increase the
   size of packets.  As a result, the outgoing I-IP link MTU may not
   accommodate the larger packet size.  It is not always possible for
   core operators to increase the MTU of every link, thus fragmentation
   after encapsulation and reassembling of encapsulated packets MUST be
   supported by AFBRs [RFC5565].  The specific requirements for
   fragmentation and tunnel configuration COULD be referred to in
   [I-D.ietf-intarea-tunnels], which is under revision currently."

This text is significantly improved. However, I still wonder, if I-IP is
IPv6, how does the originator of the IPv6 packet (the AFBR) know that it
needs to include a fragment header? In addition to the discussion in
[I-D.ietf-intarea-tunnels], isn't it necessary to specify that PMTUD
should be enabled and that ICMPv6 packets must not be filtered?

Nit:
----

Please change COULD to SHOULD in the above paragraph.

---

From: Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2018 16:28:43 -0700

Brian, thanks for your reviews of this document. WG, thanks for your responses. 

I entered a No Objection ballot. I think Ole’s response on your point below clarified this.

Alissa

> On Sep 21, 2018, at 8:19 PM, Brian Carpenter <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Gen-art mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art