Subject: [sop] CfP 12th Virtualization in High­-Performance Cloud Computing Workshop (VHPC '17)

From: VHPC 17 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 22:54:25 +0100

====================================================================

CALL FOR PAPERS

12th Workshop on Virtualization in High-Performance Cloud Computing  (VHPC
'17)

held in conjunction with the International Supercomputing Conference - High
Performance,

June 18-22, 2017, Frankfurt, Germany.

(Springer LNCS Proceedings)

====================================================================

Date: June 22, 2017

Workshop URL: http://vhpc.org

Abstract Submission Deadline: February 28, 2017

Paper Submission Deadline: April 25, 2017  (Springer LNCS)

Abstract/Paper Submission Link: https://edas.info/newPaper.php?c=23179

Call for Papers

Virtualization technologies constitute a key enabling factor for flexible
resource management

in modern data centers, and particularly in cloud environments. Cloud
providers need to

manage complex infrastructures in a seamless fashion to support the highly
dynamic and

heterogeneous workloads and hosted applications customers deploy.
Similarly, HPC

environments have been increasingly adopting techniques that enable
flexible management of

vast computing and networking resources, close to marginal provisioning
cost, which is

unprecedented in the history of scientific and commercial computing.

Various virtualization technologies contribute to the overall picture in
different ways: machine

virtualization, with its capability to enable consolidation of multiple
underutilized servers with

heterogeneous software and operating systems (OSes), and its capability to
live-migrate a

fully operating virtual machine (VM) with a very short downtime, enables
novel and dynamic

ways to manage physical servers; OS-level virtualization (i.e.,
containerization), with its

capability to isolate multiple user-space environments and to allow for
their coexistence within

the same OS kernel, promises to provide many of the advantages of machine
virtualization

with high levels of responsiveness and performance; I/O Virtualization
allows physical

NICs/HBAs to take traffic from multiple VMs or containers; network
virtualization, with its

capability to create logical network overlays that are independent of the
underlying physical

topology and IP addressing, provides the fundamental ground on top of which
evolved

network services can be realized with an unprecedented level of dynamicity
and flexibility; the

increasingly adopted paradigm of Software-Defined Networking (SDN)
 promises to extend

this flexibility to the control and data planes of network paths.

Publication

Accepted papers will be published in a Springer LNCS proceedings volume.

Topics of Interest

The VHPC program committee solicits original, high-quality submissions
related to

virtualization across the entire software stack with a special focus on the
intersection of HPC

and the cloud.

Major Topics

- Virtualization in supercomputing environments, HPC clusters, HPC in the
cloud and grids
- OS-level virtualization and containers (Docker, rkt, Singularity,
Shifter, i.a.)
- Lightweight/specialized operating systems, unikernels
- Optimizations of virtual machine monitor platforms and hypervisors
- Hypervisor support for heterogenous resources (GPUs, co-processors,
FPGAs, etc.)
- Virtualization support for emerging memory technologies

- Virtualization in enterprise HPC and microvisors
- Software defined networks and network virtualization
- Management, deployment of virtualized environments and orchestration
(Kubernetes i.a.),
- Workflow-pipeline container-based composability
- Performance measurement, modelling and monitoring of virtualized/cloud
workloads
- Virtualization in data intensive computing and Big Data processing - HPC
convergence
- Adaptation of HPC technologies in the cloud (high performance networks,
RDMA, etc.)

- ARM-based hypervisors, ARM virtualization extensions
- I/O virtualization and cloud based storage systems

- GPU, FPGA and many-core accelerator virtualization
- Job scheduling/control/policy and container placement in virtualized
environments
- Cloud reliability, fault-tolerance and high-availability
- QoS and SLA in virtualized environments
- IaaS platforms, cloud frameworks and APIs

- Large-scale virtualization in domains such as finance and government
- Energy-efficient and power-aware virtualization

- Container security

- Configuration management tools for containers (including CFEngine,
Puppet, i.a.)

- Emerging topics including multi-kernel approaches and,NUMA in hypervisors

The Workshop on Virtualization in High-Performance Cloud Computing (VHPC)
aims to

bring together researchers and industrial practitioners facing the
challenges

posed by virtualization in order to foster discussion, collaboration,
mutual exchange

of knowledge and experience, enabling research to ultimately provide novel

solutions for virtualized computing systems of tomorrow.

The workshop will be one day in length, composed of 20 min paper
presentations, each

followed by 10 min discussion sections, plus lightning talks that are
limited to 5 minutes.

Presentations may be accompanied by interactive demonstrations.

Important Dates

February 28, 2017 - Abstract Submission Deadline

April 25, 2017 - Paper submission deadline

May 30, 2017 - Acceptance notification

June 22, 2017 - Workshop Day

June 25, 2017 - Camera-ready version due

Chair

Michael Alexander (chair), scaledinfra technologies, Austria

Anastassios Nanos (co-chair), NTUA, Greece

Balazs Gerofi (co-chair), ​RIKEN Advanced Institute for Computational
Science​, Japan

Program committee

Stergios Anastasiadis, University of Ioannina, Greece

Jakob Blomer, CERN, Europe

Ron Brightwell, Sandia National Laboratories, USA

Eduardo César, Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona, Spain

Julian Chesterfield, OnApp, UK

Stephen Crago, USC ISI, USA

Christoffer Dall, Columbia University, USA

Patrick Dreher, MIT, USA

Robert Futrick, Cycle Computing, USA

Maria Girone, CERN, Europe

Kyle Hale, Northwestern University, USA

Romeo Kinzler, IBM, Switzerland

Brian Kocoloski, University of Pittsburgh, USA

Nectarios Koziris, National Technical University of Athens, Greece

John Lange, University of Pittsburgh, USA

Che-Rung Lee, National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan

Giuseppe Lettieri, University of Pisa, Italy

Qing Liu, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA

Nikos Parlavantzas, IRISA, France

Kevin Pedretti, Sandia National Laboratories, USA

Amer Qouneh, University of Florida, USA

Carlos Reaño, Technical University of Valencia, Spain

Thomas Ryd, CFEngine, Norway

Josh Simons, VMWare, USA

Borja Sotomayor, University of Chicago, USA

Craig Stewart, Indiana University, USA

Anata Tiwari, San Diego Supercomputer Center, USA

Kurt Tutschku, Blekinge Institute of Technology, Sweden

Yasuhiro Watashiba, Osaka University, Japan

Nicholas Wright, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, USA

Chao-Tung Yang, Tunghai University, Taiwan

Paper Submission-Publication

Papers submitted to the workshop will be reviewed by at least two

members of the program committee and external reviewers. Submissions

should include abstract, key words, the e-mail address of the

corresponding author, and must not exceed 10 pages, including tables

and figures at a main font size no smaller than 11 point. Submission

of a paper should be regarded as a commitment that, should the paper

be accepted, at least one of the authors will register and attend the

conference to present the work. Accepted papers will be published in a

Springer LNCS volume. .

The format must be according to the Springer LNCS Style. Initial

submissions are in PDF; authors of accepted papers will be requested

to provide source files.

Format Guidelines:

ftp://ftp.springer.de/pub/tex/latex/llncs/latex2e/llncs2e.zip

Abstract, Paper Submission Link:

https://edas.info/newPaper.php?c=23179

Lightning Talks

Lightning Talks are non-paper track, synoptical in nature and are strictly
limited to 5 minutes.

They can be used to gain early feedback on ongoing research, for
demonstrations, to present

research results, early research ideas, perspectives and positions of
interest to the community.

Submit abstract via the main submission link.

General Information

The workshop is one day in length and will be held in conjunction with the
International

Supercomputing Conference - High Performance (ISC) 2017, June 18-22,
Frankfurt,

Germany.