Subject: [Speechsc] RE: Message Control & Recording

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:08:05 -0500

Copied to archive for posterity

-----Original Message-----
From: Skip Cave [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 12:59 PM
To: Dave Burke; Eric Burger; Jesús Bernat Vercher;
[email-masked]; Sarvi Shanmugham; [email-masked]; David R Oran
Subject: Message Control & Recording

Thanks to all of you, for the clarifications of the playback volume/speed
modification functionality. I was worried that the real-time audio control
functionality had been left out of the V2 spec, but it was in there, just
not obvious.  Of course, the Voice Browser group still needs to expose that
real-time-control functionality in VXML. The current VXML FIA seems to
prevent additional actions on messages that are already playing.

However, I'm still a bit unsure about the record function that I asked
about. I don't necessarily want to combine both sides of a conversation into
a single monophonic file. Instead, I would like to record the received audio
from the caller, and the outbound audio from the Speech server/browser into
a single stereo file, with the system audio on one track, and the caller
audio on the other track. This scheme helps identify the source of various
anomalies in the tuning process. Of course, one would also like the option
to record the summed audio in a monophonic file, if needed. 

Assuming that I can route the two audio streams from different sources into
a single stereo RTP stream, will the record function allow the recording of
the complete call, or any portion of the call, while still performing all
the MRCP functions with the other MRCP resources concurrently? I am really
trying to understand if the recording function totally independent of the
ASR or TTS resources? Can I record audio at any time, regardless of the
state of the ASR or TTS functions? 

--- Skip

  _____  

From: Dave Burke [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 6:40 PM
To: Skip Cave; Eric Burger; Jesús Bernat Vercher; [email-masked];
Sarvi Shanmugham; [email-masked]; David R Oran
Subject: Re: Message Control

Hi Skip,

The CONTROL verb along with the Prosody- header parameters (whose semantics
map to SSML <prosody> attributes) MAY be used to affect an ongoing SPEAK
request. This allows you (assuming your speechsynth supports it) to alter
pitch, volume, rate etc. The Jump-Size header allows you to skip around. 

-- Dave

----- Original Message ----- 

From: Skip  <mailto:[email-masked]> Cave 

To: Eric  <mailto:[email-masked]> Burger ; Jesús Bernat
<mailto:[email-masked]> Vercher ; [email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]>  ; Sarvi Shanmugham
<mailto:[email-masked]>  ; Dave Burke <mailto:[email-masked]>  ;
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>  ; David R Oran <mailto:[email-masked]>

Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 12:54 PM

Subject: Message Control

Another question:

There is a general industry requirement to modify the playback of messages
during playback. The requirement is to change the volume, playback speed, or
skip around in the message, all under speech or DTMF commands from the user.
This is a very common requirement for voicemail applications, but is used in
many other types of applications as well. 

How does MRCP support this key requirement? I would expect that there would
be a set of MRCP V2 commands to invoke these functions during the play of
audio or TTS messages, but I don't see them in the spec. 

Skip

  _____  

From: Skip Cave 
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 2:47 PM
To: 'Eric Burger'; 'Jesús Bernat Vercher'; [email-masked]'
<mailto:[email-masked]'> ; 'Sarvi Shanmugham'; 'Dave Burke';
[email-masked]'; 'David R Oran'
Subject: Recording Functionality

All,

I have a question about the "Record" function in MRCP V2. Can it be used to
record both sides of a phone conversation, while TTS, ASR and users are all
interacting on other MRCP control channels? 

Ellis K. 'Skip' Cave

Chief Scientist, R&D

Intervoice Inc.

' 972.454.8800 (office)

' 214.460.4861 (cell)

*  <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Speechsc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc