Subject: [Speechsc] Status of security issue with speechsc requirements

From: David R Oran <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:11:12 -0500

This is a short note just to update the working group on the status of 
this item, for which I provided an update at the working group meeting 
at IETF62 last week.

Subsequent to the WG session, the chairs met with Jon Peterson (our 
area advisor) and Sam Hartman (Security area director) to discuss the 
issues.

- We confirmed that the difficulty is strictly with the usage of 
speaker verification for authentication/authorization purposes and that 
the other requirements (particularly the usage scenarios for speaker 
identification) were not sticking points.

- Towards the end of the discussion Sam counseled that Russ Housley 
(the other area director for security) was  more vehement in his 
objections to the speaker verification functions than Sam was, and 
suggested it might be advisable to transfer responsibility for 
resolving this to him. Sam said he would be happy with any resolution 
that made Russ happy.

Later in the week Jon met privately with Russ Housley. Russ said he 
would look at the document again and see if he could propose some text 
for the security consideration section that would satisfy his concerns 
and allow the document to move forward.

I'll be following up with Jon in a week or two if we have not gotten an 
update. At the moment there are no action items for the author (me) or 
for the working group; we can put all of our energy into getting MRCPv2 
ready for WG last call.

Thanks to all of you who made the effort to attend the working group 
meeting in Minneapolis, and additional thanks to Dan Burnett who 
participated remotely.

Dave Oran (speechsc co-chair)

_______________________________________________
Speechsc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc