Subject: [Speechsc] Managing big grammars

From: Corby Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 14:11:28 -0700

What are folks' thoughts on how we could manage big grammars with MRCP?

There are two usage cases that I'm interested in: a Large Grammar that 
takes several seconds to compile, and a Jumbo Grammar that takes many 
many minutes to compile.  A Large Grammar might contain several hundred 
or thousand entries.  A Jumbo Grammar might contain hundreds of 
thousands of entries.

For a Jumbo Grammar, there's no way that a user can wait for a grammar 
to be uploaded and compiled via the DEFINE-GRAMMAR or RECOGNIZE 
methods.  A grammar that large needs to be pre-compiled so that the 
DEFINE-GRAMMAR or RECOGNIZE method can simply load the grammar binary.

For a Large Grammar, it might be okay to make one user wait a few 
seconds for the grammar to compile -- but it would be a big win if that 
compiled grammar were stored with a known name so that /subsequent/ uses 
of the same grammar don't have to pay the same compilation penalty.

Our current speech recognition vendor's api provides methods for 
checking for the existence of a dynamic grammar, and for compiling a new 
grammar (named as the client specifies). The api also provides a 
powerful and flexible way to manage these stored grammars.  Is there 
some MRCP-friendly way for dealing with these types of grammars?  If 
not, then is one being considered?

Corby Anderson
Tellme Networks, Inc.

_______________________________________________
Speechsc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc