Subject: [Speechsc] MRCPv2 requirements for VoiceXML "inputmodes" property

From: Brett Gavagni <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 11:58:10 -0400

Have there been any MRCPv2 requirements raised to include support for 
VoiceXML 2.x "inputmodes" property? 

How would a VoiceXML vendor implement support for the "inputmodes" 
property utilizing the current MRCPv2 specification, and should this be 
added as a change request for a future MRCPv2 revision?

The definition of VoiceXML 'inputmodes' is as follows:

inputmodes
This property determines which input modality to use. The input modes to 
enable: dtmf and voice. On platforms that support both modes, inputmodes 
defaults to "dtmf voice". To disable speech recognition, set inputmodes to 
"dtmf". To disable DTMF, set it to "voice". One use for this would be to 
turn off speech recognition in noisy environments. Another would be to 
conserve speech recognition resources by turning them off where the input 
is always expected to be DTMF. This property does not control the 
activation of grammars. For instance, voice-only grammars may be active 
when the inputmode is restricted to DTMF. Those grammars would not be 
matched, however, because the voice input modality is not active. 

Thanks,

Brett Gavagni 
WebSphere Voice Server Development 
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/pervasive/voice_server/
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Speechsc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc

---

From: "Thomas S Gal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 09:26:03 -0700 (PDT)

That seems like a vendor optimization. Also especially since you state
that this property DOES NOT affect input grammars, what's the point? You
could just use an SRGS grammar with/without the appropriate functionality,
and there's certainly no parameters for background noise or noise in any
sense, along with all of the other situations in which this would be
useful. In my opinion this functionality is already there and in no way
limited or constrained by MRCP.

-Tom
[email-masked]